Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Konstantin Tokarev

Default Use host X11 via virtual package

I think on some platforms having another set of X11 libraries and headers
inside prefix is redundant.

X11 is very conservative technology. Recent changes are in the field of direct
hardware interaction, but I believe it is not possible to use DRI inside prefix
if X11 implementation in prefix is not compatible with host one, so it could not
be reason for need of keeping updated X.org version inside prefix.

On Linux host we already have X.org, maybe different version than in portage
But API and ABI is keeped stable between releases. Mac OS X >= 10.5 also
provides X.org.

Some platforms provide alternative implementations of X11, and I guess they must
be API compatible with X.org. These include Windows SFU, older Mac OS X (<= 10.4)
and older Linux using Xfree86, maybe other Unixes too.

I propose to add virtual ebuilds for using host X11 libraries instead of building own.
Any objections?

Konstantin

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 26-10-2010 19:03:23 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> I think on some platforms having another set of X11 libraries and headers
> inside prefix is redundant.
>
> X11 is very conservative technology. Recent changes are in the field of direct
> hardware interaction, but I believe it is not possible to use DRI inside prefix
> if X11 implementation in prefix is not compatible with host one, so it could not
> be reason for need of keeping updated X.org version inside prefix.

One of the ideas behind Prefix is that you use as little as possible
from the host system, or that you hide a slightly different installed
(but compatible) package, by a host-system wrapper.

> On Linux host we already have X.org, maybe different version than in portage
> But API and ABI is keeped stable between releases. Mac OS X >= 10.5 also
> provides X.org.
>
> Some platforms provide alternative implementations of X11, and I guess they must
> be API compatible with X.org. These include Windows SFU, older Mac OS X (<= 10.4)
> and older Linux using Xfree86, maybe other Unixes too.
>
> I propose to add virtual ebuilds for using host X11 libraries instead of building own.
> Any objections?

No objections (I'd imagine eselect X11), other than that it would be a
Prefix local change. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to go through
to do it, but if it's done, it should be initiated at gentoo-x86 level,
not Prefix.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level