FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Al
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

Hi,

after bootstrapping gcc-4.4.4-r1 re-emerging zlib displays this first

<snippy>
Checking for shared library support...
Tested i686-pc-cygwin1.7-gcc -w -c -O2 -pipe -fPIC ztest2672.c
Tested -O2 -pipe -fPIC -o ztest2672.so ztest2672.o
./configure: line 243: -O2: command not found
No shared library support; try without defining CC and CFLAGS
Building static library libz.a version 1.2.5 with i686-pc-cygwin1.7-gcc.
</snippy>

and breaks with this

<snippy>
cp libz.a /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r2/image//home/prefix/gentoo/usr/lib
cp /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r2/image//home/prefix/gentoo/usr/lib
cp: missing destination file operand after
`/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r2/image//home/prefix/gentoo/usr/lib'
</snippy>

Makefile gives the reason:

STATICLIB=libz.a
SHAREDLIB=
SHAREDLIBV=
SHAREDLIBM=
[...]
cp $(STATICLIB) $(DESTDIR)$(libdir)
cp $(SHAREDLIBV) $(DESTDIR)$(sharedlibdir)

Hence, $SHAREDLIBV has not been defined, that's why "cp" has only one
argument. Configure detects no shared library support for
i686-pc-cygwin1.7-gcc at all.

What is going wrong here?

Is the error in zlib or in GCC?

How could I prove that GCC has a missing shared library support?

Do you suspect any of my settings wrong? They worked for the whole
bootstrapping process.

Could it be the version of GCC?
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
suggests "=gcc-4.2*". Why?

Thank you very much

Al







--
Caution crosser: *Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
All stupid questions are related to that context.
 
Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Al
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
> suggests "=gcc-4.2*". Why?

To note that gcc-4.2.4-r01.2 also doesn't work.

make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/build/i686-pc-cygwin1.7/libstdc++-v3/include'
...
/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:409:
error: conflicting types for 'strsignal'
/usr/include/string.h:79: error: previous declaration of 'strsignal' was here
/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:
In function 'psignal':
/home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:558:
warning: comparison between signed and unsigned

(Looks similar to this on Apple:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org/msg04631.html)

Is that right, that it using /usr/include/string.h from Cygwins glibc?
Don't we add an own version of glibc on on Prefix?

Is that the interface to Cygwins POSIX layer?

Al

--
Caution crosser: *Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
All stupid questions are related to that context.
 
Old 10-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Michael Haubenwallner
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

On 10/05/10 17:05, Al wrote:
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-solaris.xml
>> suggests "=gcc-4.2*". Why?

IIRC, the reason to stick with gcc-4.2 during bootstrap is that it is the
last one not needing extra dependencies (mpfr, gmp) being merged before,
to keep bootstrap process as simple as possible.

> To note that gcc-4.2.4-r01.2 also doesn't work.
>
> /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:409:
> error: conflicting types for 'strsignal'
> /usr/include/string.h:79: error: previous declaration of 'strsignal' was here

Seems like a cygwin specific issue, needing a cygwin specific fix in gcc then.

> Is that right, that it using /usr/include/string.h from Cygwins glibc?

Yes, although gcc may make a copy of system headers to fix known issues
here and there, but I doubt this is done before building gcc itself.

> Don't we add an own version of glibc on on Prefix?

Nope, we use the host provided libc.

> Is that the interface to Cygwins POSIX layer?

What do you mean by "that"?
Cygwin provides a POSIX layer, including some libc,
and prefix runs on top of that.

HTH,
/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Al
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

> IIRC, the reason to stick with gcc-4.2 during bootstrap is that it is the
> last one not needing extra dependencies (mpfr, gmp) being merged before,
> to keep bootstrap process as simple as possible.

Thank you Michael. Also 4.2* needs mpfr and gmp on Cygwin, but I can
use the Cygwin package for this in the initial circle. So 4.2* is not
a must and a can go with a younger version. 4.3* didn't build either.

>
>> To note that gcc-4.2.4-r01.2 also doesn't work.
>>
>> /home/prefix/gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.2.4-r01.2/work/gcc-4.2.4/libiberty/strsignal.c:409:
>> error: conflicting types for 'strsignal'
>> /usr/include/string.h:79: error: previous declaration of 'strsignal' was here
>
> Seems like a cygwin specific issue, needing a cygwin specific fix in gcc then.
>

So I searched and found that they did something cygwin specific in
libc/include/string.h.

http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2008/msg00342.html

-const char *_EXFUN(strsignal, (int __signo));
+char *_EXFUN(strsignal, (int __signo));

However I am surprised that ggc-4.2 breaks from this, while ggc-4.4
builds. From this thread I should expect that gcc-4.4 is the breaking
one:

http://old.nabble.com/GCC-4.4---Cygwin-build-failed-in-%27strsignal%27-td19666377.html

Bottomline from both answers is to try to go with gcc-4.4 I think and
to fokus on the SHAREDLIB issue.

>> Is that right, that it using /usr/include/string.h from Cygwins glibc?
>
> Yes, although gcc may make a copy of system headers to fix known issues
> here and there, but I doubt this is done before building gcc itself.
>

I meanwhile found an old thread on this, that tells nobody managed to
emerge glibc on prefix yet.

Al

--
Caution crosser: *Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
All stupid questions are related to that context.
 
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Al
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

> <snippy>
> Checking for shared library support...
> Tested i686-pc-cygwin1.7-gcc -w -c -O2 -pipe -fPIC ztest2672.c
> Tested -O2 -pipe -fPIC -o ztest2672.so ztest2672.o
> ./configure: line 243: -O2: command not found
> No shared library support; try without defining CC and CFLAGS
> Building static library libz.a version 1.2.5 with i686-pc-cygwin1.7-gcc.
> </snippy>
>
> Is the error in zlib or in GCC?
>
> How could I prove that GCC has a missing shared library support?
>

Akkording to the bugtracker theis looks rather like a zlib issue.
http://bugs.gentoo.org/61868.

Why it doesn't occur during initial bootstrapping is still unclear,
but it seams that at least big GCC is built and working with version
gcc-4.4*.

Al

--
Caution crosser: *Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
All stupid questions are related to that context.
 
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Michael Haubenwallner
 
Default Prefix/Cygwin: zlib, GCC, which version?

On 10/06/10 13:33, Al wrote:
>> IIRC, the reason to stick with gcc-4.2 during bootstrap is that it is the
>> last one not needing extra dependencies (mpfr, gmp) being merged before,
>> to keep bootstrap process as simple as possible.
>
> Thank you Michael. Also 4.2* needs mpfr and gmp on Cygwin,

IIRC, gcc-4.2 does not need mpfr and gmp for C and C++, but Fortran only - which
isn't needed during bootstrap: USE=-fortran should do.

Since gcc-4.3, also the C and C++ compilers need mpfr and gmp.

/haubi/
--
Michael Haubenwallner
Gentoo on a different level
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org