Old 09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Logan Bowers

Default Mono on OS X

I'm trying to get mono 2.6.7 building on my OS X machine, and configure fails with the following relevant snippet:

configure:3790: i686-apple-darwin10-gcc -O2 -pipe -march=prescott -fno-strict-aliasing -arch i386 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -mmacosx
-version-min=10.5 -no-cpp-precomp -D_THREAD_SAFE -DGC_MACOSX_THREADS -DPLATFORM_MACOSX -DUSE_MMAP -DUSE_MUNMAP -DGetCurren
tProcess=MonoGetCurrentProcess -DGetCurrentThread=MonoGetCurrentThread -DCreateEvent=MonoCreateEvent -arch i386 -D_XOPEN_SO
URCE -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -pthread conftest.c >&5
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"

It looks like they're setting some flags in the 'configure' script if the host is darwin:

case "$host" in
i*86-*-darwin10*)
BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS="-arch i386 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -mmacosx-version-min=10.5"
CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CCASFLAGS="$CCASFLAGS $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CPPFLAGS_FOR_LIBGC="$CPPFLAGS_FOR_LIBGC $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CFLAGS_FOR_LIBGC="$CFLAGS_FOR_LIBGC $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CPPFLAGS_FOR_EGLIB="$CPPFLAGS_FOR_EGLIB $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
CFLAGS_FOR_EGLIB="$CFLAGS_FOR_EGLIB $BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS"
;;
esac

If I remove '-arch i386' , the ebuild compiles properly. It appears to be an arg unique to Apple's version of gcc (?).

So what's teh best way to fix and submit this? I can make a patch file that the ebuild applies and post a diff. Is there a better way to get the change into the tree? Thanks!

Logan Bowers

Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 19-09-2010 15:57:18 -0700, Logan Bowers wrote:
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"
>
> It looks like they're setting some flags in the 'configure' script if the host is darwin:
>
> case "$host" in
> i*86-*-darwin10*)
> BROKEN_DARWIN_FLAGS="-arch i386 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -mmacosx-version-min=10.5"
>
> If I remove '-arch i386' , the ebuild compiles properly. It appears to be an arg unique to Apple's version of gcc (?).

Not really, but since our compiler isn't multilib, I think it doesn't
grok it.

> So what's teh best way to fix and submit this? I can make a patch file that the ebuild applies and post a diff. Is there a better way to get the change into the tree? Thanks!

Hard to come up with a generic patch. Our compiler is custom, so better
just use a sed statement to rip the -arch .* out, we know we don't need
it, since our compiler already respects the i?86 part in it's full
CHOST.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level