Old 09-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Al

Default Prefix/Cygwin: stability

I want to file in a few postings now. They are mainly targeted for the
archives, but also to communicate knowlege on Cygwin. Sure your
annotations are welcome.

95% stability

I estimate that 1 of 20 emergings break and need to be repeated. A
speciall weak point is the generation of the man pages. Parallel
emergins in multiple windows reduce the stability to 70%.

Speed

The speed of emergings is low comparing with linux.

Target groups:

* Because of the stability issues Prefix on Cygwin is not usable for servers.
* Prefix on Cygwin is interesting for Desktp environments without
enterprise editions of windows.

Manually builds:

Take a day which cant be the way to go.

Skripted build:

It's likely impossible to run a simple skripted bootsstrapping process
over night as it will break somewhere. Solutions could be
crosscompiling or a script wich is able to recognize and repeat broken
emerge steps.

Al

Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Al

2010/9/12 Al <oss.elmar@googlemail.com>:
> I want to file in a few postings now. They are mainly targeted for the
> archives, but also to communicate knowlege on Cygwin. Sure your
> annotations are welcome.
>
> 95% stability

Meanwhile I think the stabilitly is higher than this. When I emerge
bzip2 as one of the first packages, there are good chances that a full
system build will go through without breaking.

Al