Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Tom Ellis

Default I can haz fortran?

What is the current state of fortran in prefix on mac?* I tried to get some scientific software into the prefix but got stopped at square one which is, have a working fortran compiler.* I looked in gmane and the most recent discussion of fortran I found was the one I started 4 years ago.*

I have a feeling this was a mac only problem since mac depends on gcc-apple which has no fortran.* or did depend - I sort of lost interest in prefix when I couldn't use it to compile fortran on my mac with the convenient ebuild system. maybe things have matured and advanced since then he inquired hopefully?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Aaron Wilson

gcc-apple does have fortran support (although I can remember when it didn't), and you can also compile the standard version of gcc with fortran support (this is how I have always done it to get the latest bells and whistles for parallel computing) . Just add

sys-devel/gcc fortran

and/or

sys-devel/gcc-apple fortran

to your ${EPREFIX}/etc/portage/package.use

Aaron

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Tom Ellis

That was the answer I was hoping for.* I have a need to try again, so I will.

--

Thomas Ellis
Email: its1louder@gmail.com

Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Fabian Groffen

Like Aaron said:

On 31-08-2010 16:09:31 -0700, Tom Ellis wrote:
> What is the current state of fortran in prefix on mac?* I tried to get some
> scientific software into the prefix but got stopped at square one which is,
> have a working fortran compiler.* I looked in gmane and the most recent
> discussion of fortran I found was the one I started 4 years ago.*
>
> I have a feeling this was a mac only problem since mac depends on gcc-apple
> which has no fortran.* or did depend - I sort of lost interest in prefix
> when I couldn't use it to compile fortran on my mac with the convenient
> ebuild system. maybe things have matured and advanced since then he inquired
> hopefully?

Well, I'm not sure what you're exaclty looking for, but our gcc-apple
these days has a fortan USE-flag, which just installs a gfortran for
you:

% gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.1 (Gentoo 4.2.1_p5664, Apple Inc. build 5664)

So far it hasn't caused me any problems with software that requires
fortran support, but I'm not a realy fortran user.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level