-   -   Prefix on a symlink? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/416141-prefix-symlink.html)

Elmar Hinz 08-21-2010 01:42 PM

Prefix on a symlink?

To take scenario 2 of the use case article as examle:

I want to distribute a prefix based product to different customers,
but my home directory (/home/elmar/) is compiled into it.

Would a symlink work to solve this?

mkdir /home/elmar/gentoo
sudo ln -s /home/elmar/gentoo/ /opt/gentoo

Then do bootstrapping in /opt as elmar?

Better solutions?

Al

08-21-2010 06:04 PM

Prefix on a symlink?

Hey Al,

Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> writes:

> I want to distribute a prefix based product to different customers,
> but my home directory (/home/elmar/) is compiled into it.
> Would a symlink work to solve this?
> mkdir /home/elmar/gentoo
> sudo ln -s /home/elmar/gentoo/ /opt/gentoo
> Then do bootstrapping in /opt as elmar?

Take a look at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/4502/.

The most non-trivial part is the runtime library loading. In prefix, we
have the library pathes hard compiled into the binaries. Moving them
requires a recompilation.

--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda

Elmar Hinz 08-21-2010 06:25 PM

Prefix on a symlink?

> Take a look at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/4502/.

Thank you. This thread is about altering the prefix.

That's what I want to avoid by setting /opt/gentoo as common prefix
for all end users and than symlink to it. Hence the question, if it
would work on such a symlink or break.

The other question in this case is about how to handle the different user ids.

Al

Elmar Hinz 08-21-2010 07:17 PM

Prefix on a symlink?

First report to the symlink question:

I moved the whole bootstrapped /home/elmar/gentoo to my USB stick. The
new path is /media/Prefix.

After symlinking to /home/elmar/gentoo at least my test candidate gedit works.

Now I try how far it will directly cooperate with Suse and Fedora live CDs.

Al