Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Elmar Hinz

Default Bootstrap process for Linux users

Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
Linux Users?

If yes, which documentation format is required and how to get it onto
the server?

Al

Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 AM

Hi Al,

Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
> Linux Users?

I think it is better first describe to the list what exactly you are
going to alter. And we will discuss about it.

--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda

Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 21-08-2010 13:07:09 +0900, heroxbd@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
> > Linux Users?
>
> I think it is better first describe to the list what exactly you are
> going to alter. And we will discuss about it.

Point is (why there is no Linux doc), there is no "Linux" out there.
There are only zillions of distros that all do it their way. What works
on Gentoo, Fedora and ALTlinux, will not on Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS
for example.

The ultimate guide doesn't exist. The guides that exist now (FreeBSD
one was contributed, but isn't maintained) are working most of the time
because the respective vendors (Apple, Sun/Oracle) keep their product
stable in a sense.
What would probably the best for Linux (and others) is to create a
binary self-provided "installer", that is nothing more but a /var/tmp
based minimal Prefix installation, built on an oldish glibc that would
be used to cross-Prefix emerge a new Prefix in a location of choice.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Elmar Hinz

> Point is (why there is no Linux doc), there is no "Linux" out there.
> There are only zillions of distros that all do it their way. *What works
> on Gentoo, Fedora and ALTlinux, will not on Debian, Ubuntu and CentOS
> for example.
>
> The ultimate guide doesn't exist. *The guides that exist now (FreeBSD
> one was contributed, but isn't maintained) are working most of the time
> because the respective vendors (Apple, Sun/Oracle) keep their product
> stable in a sense.

In this case I would offer to do it for a well defined, stable Linux
distro. I would choose the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx in a
brand-new installation. It is supported by Canonical until April
2013. The long term editions come out every two years in April. That
would be the rhythm to check the document for an update.

By using a defined edition, you could simply remove the document in
April 2013 if no update is contributed since April 2012.

I think it would encourage more linux users to try prefix, if there is
a documantation for a linux distribution. It's kind of queer if you
are used to linux and you want install linux as a second level manager
and you are pointed to a Solaris or BSD documentation.

Al

Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Elmar Hinz

>> Am I allowed to adapt the Solaris documentation do a documentation for
>> Linux Users?
>
> I think it is better first describe to the list what exactly you are
> going to alter. And we will discuss about it.

1.) Changing the title to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx.

2.) Adding distro packages that are required to install before bootstrapping.

3.) Removing those steps that are not required on linux.

4.) Finally some general hints how to handle other linux distributions.

I would need to do some additional research for it, starting with the
installation of a fresh Ubuntu. I expect that the only additional
requirement is the developer package of ncurses. I found out already
that the binutils step can be dropped and probably needs to be
dropped.

If other steps can be dropped would be a matter of discussion. I could
test suggestions easily by running the script I did yesterday.

However, I have the feeling that additional documents aren't really
welcome because of maintenance issues, which I can understand. So I
will go on with my own stuff now.

Regards

Al