Old 09-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Al

Default You too? youtoo!

>> Collected issus and workarounds: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin
>
> To help you a bit, I added a cygwin profile and CHOST detection support
> to bootstrap-prefix.sh. *Starting from tomorrow, latest_tree should have
> the profile for you.

During initial bootstrapping I still have to add the profiles tree
manually as the initial profile is from early summer.

See: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin#Profile_setup

Now I got to the point "emerge --sync" and the cygwin profile comes
finally in and overwrites my manual made make.defaults. It brings in
the new KEYWORD ~x86-cygwin.

This results in the error message "!!! INVALID ACCEPT_KEYWORDS:
~x86-cygwin". As a first workaround I disabled it again in make.conf
to use ~x86-linux again.

See: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin#overwrite_make.defaults_by_make.conf

I assume you have added it so that I should use it. Should I do
somesthing special here or go on with ~x86-linux?

I guess the path is to use them in parallel and add the ~x86-cygwin
keyword step by step the ebuilds, right?

Al

Old 09-26-2010, 06:34 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 25-09-2010 23:38:00 +0200, Al wrote:
> During initial bootstrapping I still have to add the profiles tree
> manually as the initial profile is from early summer.

use latest_tree instead of tree

> This results in the error message "!!! INVALID ACCEPT_KEYWORDS:
> ~x86-cygwin". As a first workaround I disabled it again in make.conf
> to use ~x86-linux again.

oops, I forgot to add it to the valid profiles list

> I guess the path is to use them in parallel and add the ~x86-cygwin
> keyword step by step the ebuilds, right?

yeah, when an ebuild works, we can keyword it. I preferaby only do so
once @system emerges.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Al

> yeah, when an ebuild works, we can keyword it. *I preferaby only do so
> once @system emerges.

This is in principle true for Cygwin since today. All system packages
have been emerged. Even GCC compiles.

Next I need to put it all into one skript and debug some sources to
replace workarounds.

And there is the thingy with the replacement of running DLL.

Al

Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Al

> I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
> CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html

Meanwhile I think that i686-pc-cygwin would be the better choice.

Reasons:

1.) This patch for config.guess has been rejected upstream, according
to Eric Blake:

Running config.guess on cygwin 1.7.7 still intentionally produces:
i686-pc-cygwin

2.) Names of Cygwins compilers:

i686-pc-cygwin-c++-4.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-g++-4.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.3.4.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-c++.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-g++.exe
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.exe

3.) Breaking packages (before we build our own gcc as
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc1.7.exe):

libiconv and gettext break with i686-pc-cygwin1.7 and need i686-pc-cygwin.

zlib is a special case. When the CHOST doesn't match a compiler,
configure runs into working default settings, else it switches to the
CYGWIN case, which settings are not sane and break.

Al

--
Caution crosser: *Runnig Gentoo/Prefix on Cygwin/Vista.
All stupid questions are related to that context.