FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
> me neither :[ still, you're right. sounds like a cygwin related problem.
>

A second run - everything is fine. Really looks like an instablility.

One of the most ugly things was a broken bzip2 pipe. My efforts to
remove bzip2 and fall back to the Cygwins one ended in complaints of a
BSD wrapped sed.

I now make a backup of the whole tree each time a new reach a stable state.

Al
 
Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 AM
 
Default You too? youtoo!

Hello Markus and Al,

Just some random noise here. Are you ever considered MinGW/MSYS as the
base POSIX environment for Windows? I know some friend use minGW
compilers (a port of gcc) to develop on Windows.

Well I have no need on windows-based POSIX though. ;O

Yours,
--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science
Tohoku University
JAPAN

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda
 
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

2010/8/25 <heroxbd@gmail.com>:
> Hello Markus and Al,
>
> Just some random noise here. Are you ever considered MinGW/MSYS as the
> base POSIX environment for Windows? I know some friend use minGW
> compilers (a port of gcc) to develop on Windows.
>
> Well I have no need on windows-based POSIX though. ;O
>
> Yours,

Yes, POSIX is the answer. That is the environment Prefix lives in.
Interix and Cygwin set up a POSIX layer into windows.

MinGW is only a collection of single programs that live in the native
windows environment.
MSYS is a unix like shell, but no fullblown POSIX layer.

In theory I can replace all Cygwin stuff with Gentoo builds, but I
still depend on the cygwin.dll itself, which gives me the
compatibility layer.

Al
 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
>>
>> Guess I spend another day testing Cygwin, to find out how far the
>> instabilities really matter.
>
> yeah, sure - are you seeing any instabilities yet?
>

After some days working with Cygwin 95% of my issues come from the
side of gentoo. 5% are still to much to run server tasks upon Cygwin.

My target group is the desktop user, which can react immediatly, by
repeating the last task. The Windows PC was full of instablitities
until XP. Yet it was more successfull than IBM in the target group
where money matters. I try to follow the Cygwin path.

Hope to get the gcc compiled today or tomorrow. Also the gcc it is not
an issue of instabiltity but of finding the appropriate configurations
for prefix on cygwin.

Collected issus and workarounds: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin

Al
 
Old 08-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default You too? youtoo!

On 30-08-2010 15:51:28 +0200, Al wrote:
> Hope to get the gcc compiled today or tomorrow. Also the gcc it is not
> an issue of instabiltity but of finding the appropriate configurations
> for prefix on cygwin.
>
> Collected issus and workarounds: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin

To help you a bit, I added a cygwin profile and CHOST detection support
to bootstrap-prefix.sh. Starting from tomorrow, latest_tree should have
the profile for you.

I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
> To help you a bit, I added a cygwin profile and CHOST detection support
> to bootstrap-prefix.sh. *Starting from tomorrow, latest_tree should have
> the profile for you.
>
> I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
> CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html
>

Thank you very much.

Al
 
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
> To help you a bit, I added a cygwin profile and CHOST detection support
> to bootstrap-prefix.sh. *Starting from tomorrow, latest_tree should have
> the profile for you.
>
> I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
> CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html
>
>

Both tested and implemented into the docs:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin#Initial_bootstrapping

Al
 
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default You too? youtoo!

On 02-09-2010 17:41:20 +0200, Al wrote:
> >
> > To help you a bit, I added a cygwin profile and CHOST detection support
> > to bootstrap-prefix.sh. *Starting from tomorrow, latest_tree should have
> > the profile for you.
> >
> > I found that with Cygwin 1.7.x you need to use i686-pc-cygwin1.7 as
> > CHOST, so the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does so accordingly.
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00669.html
> >
> >
>
> Both tested and implemented into the docs:
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Prefix/Cygwin#Initial_bootstrapping

I would drop setting the CHOST manually, since the bootstrap script
guesses the correct one itself automagically now. Best not bring wrong
ideas to people


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 09-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
> I would drop setting the CHOST manually, since the bootstrap script
> guesses the correct one itself automagically now. *Best not bring wrong
> ideas to people
>

Great, I give that try. I generally follow the minimalistic approach.

Obviously I was a point when CHOST was missing and things went wrong.
That was in a new shell and I missed to set the bootstrap environment.

Al
 
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Al
 
Default You too? youtoo!

>
> I would drop setting the CHOST manually, since the bootstrap script
> guesses the correct one itself automagically now. *Best not bring wrong
> ideas to people

I have tested this.

The bootstrap script guesses correct. But it does not add the guessed
CHOST to make.defaults like it does with CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, USE and
FEATURES.

I still have to set CHOST manually here else sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5-r2
does not install and dies with:

unable to read SONAME from libz.so

Al
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org