Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Elmar Hinz

Default You too? youtoo!

To come a step forward with to my target I come up with this idea for
the Prefix team. Get the vision is already in everybodies head.

youtoo, short u2, does what it says. It brings gentoo to everybody, to
the windows user, to the mac user, ... did I forget someone, well
certainly also to un*x users.

youtoo --prefix /home/user/gentoo/ --target gedit

That would compile gedit into the given directory, with all required
dependencies.

Everybody could run gentoo programs with user rights on any platform,
always from the latests sources. If it works, it would become a kind
of driving engine for the whole gentoo distribution.

Is that realistic?

Has somebody done it already?

Where are the pitfalls?

On windows it would i.e. include the installation of the cygwin
compatibility layer, to get a Posix environment.

What would you think about?

How big do you estimate the timely requirements to get a prove of concept?

Al