FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Alt

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Jeremy Olexa
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:08:52 +0800, Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am doing on two servers with
> "2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp,/lib64/tls/libc-2.3.4.so" and
> "2.6.18-164.6.1.el5,/lib64/libc-2.5.so" that mount a same NFS disk.
> (In fact, they are 2 clusters with different linux on them and the
> administrators are not going to make those nodes same.)
>
> When I first encounter some errors that googled towarding to glibc, I
> found glibc is not in the portage gentoo-prefix,

Correct, Gentoo Prefix relies on the host's libc.

> so I thought it might be better to build the prefix under my own
> machine, which runs Gentoo.
> After I done this on my machine and rsync back to the same path on
> the server, I found everything linking on glibc cannot work since the
> libc there is too old.

You have to build the packages on the host that has the older glibc.

> So, How can I make a prefix that works on both these 2 servers?
> I think what I need is to make a glibc-2.11 with kernel 2.6.9-55, the
> lower one.
>
> Any note on prefix the glibc? Such as, what glibc depands on.
>
> And In fact I am not so sure which linux distributions are on those
> server, I just find there are 'rpm' but no 'apt-get' and no 'deb' .
> From other informations, it should be some CentOS. But I am not sure.

There should be an /etc/*release* file that contains such info.

-Jeremy
 
Old 08-17-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

Hey Darkside,

Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> writes:

>> so I thought it might be better to build the prefix under my own
>> machine, which runs Gentoo.
>> After I done this on my machine and rsync back to the same path on
>> the server, I found everything linking on glibc cannot work since the
>> libc there is too old.
>
> You have to build the packages on the host that has the older glibc.

It is painful to set up an old machine. Is it possible to run a newer
glibc (built in gentoo prefix) upon another older libc?

Yours,
--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science
Tohoku University
JAPAN

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda
 
Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Galaxy
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

$ grep ' /etc/*release*
/etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 4.5 (Final)
/etc/rocks-release:Rocks release 4.3 (Mars Hill)

/etc/redhat-release:CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
/etc/rocks-release:Rocks release 5.3 (Rolled Tacos)

Well, I got the info.

I googled and find http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAToolChainOnAMac ,
which says that it is possible to compile a GNU tool chain over Mac OS X, a BSD release.
And since it works on BSD with some tweaks, it should also works on Linux.

So, will there be some note of this on the "Gentoo Prefix" webpage ?

I will try to compile glibc next week or later. Any suggestions are welcomed.

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:08:52 +0800, Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am doing on two servers with
>> "2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp,/lib64/tls/libc-2.3.4.so" and
>> "2.6.18-164.6.1.el5,/lib64/libc-2.5.so" that mount a same NFS disk.
>> (In fact, they are 2 clusters with different linux on them and the
>> administrators are not going to make those nodes same.)
>>
>> When I first encounter some errors that googled towarding to glibc, I
>> found glibc is not in the portage gentoo-prefix,

> Correct, Gentoo Prefix relies on the host's libc.

>> so I thought it might be better to build the prefix under my own
>> machine, which runs Gentoo.
>> After I done this on my machine and rsync back to the same path on
>> the server, I found everything linking on glibc cannot work since the
>> libc there is too old.

> You have to build the packages on the host that has the older glibc.

>> So, How can I make a prefix that works on both these 2 servers?
>> I think what I need is to make a glibc-2.11 with kernel 2.6.9-55, the
>> lower one.
>>
>> Any note on prefix the glibc? Such as, what glibc depands on.
>>
>> And In fact I am not so sure which linux distributions are on those
>> server, I just find there are 'rpm' but no 'apt-get' and no 'deb' .
>> From other informations, it should be some CentOS. But I am not sure.

> There should be an /etc/*release* file that contains such info.

> -Jeremy




--
*致
敬礼!
Galaxy mailto:galaxy001@gmail.com
 
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Johan Hattne
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

On 08/17/10 01:14, Galaxy wrote:

> I googled and find http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAToolChainOnAMac ,
> which says that it is possible to compile a GNU tool chain over Mac OS X, a BSD release.
> And since it works on BSD with some tweaks, it should also works on Linux.

I'm exposing my ignorance here, but I really don't think you need all
that. The page linked above seems to deal with cross-compiling for ARM,
which I think is a different problem from what you're having.

As I think of it, libc isn't really part of your toolchain, but rather
your interface to the system (kernel) on which your prefix is running.
You may be able to compile your own libc--whether it's GNU's or somebody
else's--but then you've just moved the prefix-system interface from libc
to the kernel, and you've got to (manually) ensure that your libc plays
nice with all the kernels you intend to use your prefix on. You may
similarly be able to compile a kernel with your prefix software, but
then you've really lost the benefit of the prefixed environment.

// Cheers; Johan
 
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Galaxy
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

qdepends gcc-4.4
sys-devel/gcc-4.4.3-r2: >=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4 >=sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4 virtual/libiconv >=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1 >=dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2 sys-devel/gettext >=sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 >=sys-devel/bison-1.875 >=sys-libs/glibc-2.8 >=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.94 sys-devel/gnuconfig >=sys-apps/sed-4

The '>=sys-libs/glibc-2.8' indicate that I can never run gcc-4.4 under glibc-2.4.
That is why I need to prefix another glibc.

About kernel, since it cannot be done without root private, I will not try that.

I think the benefit of a prefixed environment is to make us run things that the root are too lazy to enable.
And this kind of root is what I am facing.

> On 08/17/10 01:14, Galaxy wrote:

>> I googled and find http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAToolChainOnAMac ,
>> which says that it is possible to compile a GNU tool chain over Mac OS X, a BSD release.
>> And since it works on BSD with some tweaks, it should also works on Linux.

> I'm exposing my ignorance here, but I really don't think you need all
> that. The page linked above seems to deal with cross-compiling for ARM,
> which I think is a different problem from what you're having.

> As I think of it, libc isn't really part of your toolchain, but rather
> your interface to the system (kernel) on which your prefix is running.
> You may be able to compile your own libc--whether it's GNU's or somebody
> else's--but then you've just moved the prefix-system interface from libc
> to the kernel, and you've got to (manually) ensure that your libc plays
> nice with all the kernels you intend to use your prefix on. You may
> similarly be able to compile a kernel with your prefix software, but
> then you've really lost the benefit of the prefixed environment.

> // Cheers; Johan
 
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Jeremy Olexa
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:55:08 +0800, Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> wrote:
> qdepends gcc-4.4
> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.3-r2: >=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
> >=sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4 virtual/libiconv >=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1
> >=dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2 sys-devel/gettext
> >=sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 >=sys-devel/bison-1.875 >=sys-libs/glibc-2.8
> >=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.94 sys-devel/gnuconfig >=sys-apps/sed-4
>
> The '>=sys-libs/glibc-2.8' indicate that I can never run gcc-4.4
> under glibc-2.4.
> That is why I need to prefix another glibc.

uh..are you using a Gentoo Prefix portage tree, right? We've been
avoiding that glibc dep for ages now...

%% qdepends gcc-4.4
sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r1: >=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
>=sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4 virtual/libiconv >=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1
>=dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2 sys-devel/gettext
>=sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 >=sys-devel/bison-1.875
>=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.94 sys-devel/gnuconfig >=sys-apps/sed-4

Anyway, I'm going to gracefully bow out from this thread because it
doesn't make sense anymore. Try to build glibc, please report back when
successful.

Good luck,
-Jeremy
 
Old 08-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Galaxy
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

I ran qdepends on the main Gentoo tree.
Since glibc is not a part of the prefix tree, of course it will not contains dependence on glibc there.

$ ldd /usr/bin/gcc
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff4ab7e000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007fc0e5e34000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fc0e6190000)

Since gcc do linked to libc,
and the version required is >2.8 from the main tree,
and I did failed on emerge gcc and binutils at the link step under glibc-2.4.
I come to the answer that without glibc-2.8, it cannot be done for gcc-4.4 .

It will be helpful if someone can make list on foreach glibc version, which highest version of gcc and binutils can be compiled.

Well, I should make more searching or read the document of GNU libc.
Still, I do think this should be a common problem for cluster users.

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:55:08 +0800, Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> wrote:
>> qdepends gcc-4.4
>> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.3-r2: >=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
>> >=sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4 virtual/libiconv >=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1
>> >=dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2 sys-devel/gettext
>> >=sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 >=sys-devel/bison-1.875 >=sys-libs/glibc-2.8
>> >=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.94 sys-devel/gnuconfig >=sys-apps/sed-4
>>
>> The '>=sys-libs/glibc-2.8' indicate that I can never run gcc-4.4
>> under glibc-2.4.
>> That is why I need to prefix another glibc.

> uh..are you using a Gentoo Prefix portage tree, right? We've been
> avoiding that glibc dep for ages now...

> %% qdepends gcc-4.4
> sys-devel/gcc-4.4.4-r1: >=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
>>=sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4 virtual/libiconv >=dev-libs/gmp-4.2.1
>>=dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 >=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r2 sys-devel/gettext
>>=sys-apps/texinfo-4.8 >=sys-devel/bison-1.875
>>=sys-devel/binutils-2.15.94 sys-devel/gnuconfig >=sys-apps/sed-4

> Anyway, I'm going to gracefully bow out from this thread because it
> doesn't make sense anymore. Try to build glibc, please report back when
> successful.

> Good luck,
> -Jeremy
 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Fabian Groffen
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

On 18-08-2010 13:01:01 +0800, Galaxy wrote:
> I ran qdepends on the main Gentoo tree.
> Since glibc is not a part of the prefix tree, of course it will not contains dependence on glibc there.
>
> $ ldd /usr/bin/gcc
> linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff4ab7e000)
> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007fc0e5e34000)
> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fc0e6190000)
>
> Since gcc do linked to libc,

(g)libc is not "just a library" in the sense that you can do without.
Besides that you're not looking at gcc here, but a wrapper around it,
virtually everything is linked to libc.

> and the version required is >2.8 from the main tree,
> and I did failed on emerge gcc and binutils at the link step under glibc-2.4.
> I come to the answer that without glibc-2.8, it cannot be done for gcc-4.4 .

We like to see bugs about those. We can't always easily fix it, but
still a bug would be nice.

> > Anyway, I'm going to gracefully bow out from this thread because it
> > doesn't make sense anymore. Try to build glibc, please report back when
> > successful.
>
> > Good luck,
> > -Jeremy

For the rest, I agree with Jeremy.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 AM
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

Hello, Galaxy,

Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the benefit of a prefixed environment is to make us run things
> that the root are too lazy to enable. And this kind of root is what I
> am facing.

me too, unfortunately. We have many very old boxes with very old tools.

People are not using new features of gcc though, so we could live with
it. But not me with gentoo prefix (and wild ideas).
--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science
Tohoku University
JAPAN

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda
 
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM
 
Default How to make prefix using new glibc ?

Hello Galaxy,

Galaxy <galaxy001@gmail.com> writes:

> It will be helpful if someone can make list on foreach glibc version,
> which highest version of gcc and binutils can be compiled.

I have met a similar problem:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/5514/focus=5515

This issue could not be that straight forward. We just do not have that
testing results out there.

I just surrendered into it and stuck to gcc-4.2.4 on that old machine.

I am interested if you have some brilliant ideas on circumventing old
libcs without touching root permission.

Yours,
--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science
Tohoku University
JAPAN

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org