-   -   packages that run as root (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/381170-packages-run-root.html)

Jeremy Olexa 06-03-2010 08:28 PM

packages that run as root

Hi,
Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
considering to lift this restriction because:

1) We aren't very good at keeping this list up2date.
2) It poses artificial restrictions for some users and doens't harm the
other users.
3) Why bother to mask them?

Anyone disagree?
-Jeremy

Peter Abrahamsen 06-04-2010 12:32 AM

packages that run as root

Sound reasoning as far as I'm concerned.

Peter

Fabian Groffen 06-04-2010 06:35 AM

packages that run as root

On 03-06-2010 20:28:27 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Hi,
> Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
> considering to lift this restriction because:
>
> 1) We aren't very good at keeping this list up2date.
> 2) It poses artificial restrictions for some users and doens't harm the
> other users.
> 3) Why bother to mask them?
>
> Anyone disagree?

No. Ideally we should also try to get rid of "prefix == unprivileged"
assumption (although it will remain reality for the majority of
use-cases).

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Florian CROUZAT 06-04-2010 06:41 AM

packages that run as root

On 4 juin 2010, at 08:35, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 03-06-2010 20:28:27 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
>> Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
>> considering to lift this restriction
>> Anyone disagree?
>
> No. Ideally we should also try to get rid of "prefix == unprivileged"
> assumption

How do we tell users who can't gain root privileges they shouldn't compile a certain package because they won't be able to run it if we remove the masks ?

--
Florian CROUZAT

Ramon van Alteren 06-04-2010 07:05 AM

packages that run as root

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:28:27PM +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Hi,
> Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
> considering to lift this restriction because:
>
> 1) We aren't very good at keeping this list up2date.
> 2) It poses artificial restrictions for some users and doens't harm the
> other users.
> 3) Why bother to mask them?
>
> Anyone disagree?

No +1 from me.

Ramon

06-06-2010 05:43 PM

packages that run as root

Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
considering to lift this restriction because:

1) We aren't very good at keeping this list up2date.
2) It poses artificial restrictions for some users and doens't harm the
other users.
3) Why bother to mask them?

Anyone disagree?
-Jeremy

running as root still works ? i suppose ther could be the case where root
could have a prefix ?

matt

Jeremy Olexa 06-07-2010 04:27 AM

packages that run as root

Current situation is to mask packages that run as root. I'm seriously
considering to lift this restriction because:

1) We aren't very good at keeping this list up2date.
2) It poses artificial restrictions for some users and doens't harm the
other users.
3) Why bother to mask them?

Anyone disagree?
-Jeremy

running as root still works ? i suppose ther could be the case where
root could have a prefix ?

matt

The thread should really be called "packages that need root privs to
run" and we have now had enough feedback that I am moving forward this
week on it. :)

-Jeremy

Benda Xu 06-13-2010 06:54 AM

packages that run as root

Hi Jeremy,
*
I strongly agree with you arguments. And there is some situation that user have root access and also need a Gentoo Prefix. e. g.*setting up*a ftp server using packages from Prefix on MacOSX.*(rephrasing your idea 2)

*
The Prefix users are generally highly evolved. Therefore developper do not need to decide for the users which packages should/not be installed. (well rephrasing your idea 2)

lifting this restriction will also save developpers' time. (well rephrasing your idea 1, 3)

*
Cheers!
*
Benda
*

Dirk Tilger 08-08-2010 08:16 PM

packages that run as root

On 2010-06-04, Florian CROUZAT <gentoo@floriancrouzat.net> wrote:
> How do we tell users who can't gain root privileges they shouldn't
> compile a certain package because they won't be able to run it if we
> remove the masks ?

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~mips-macos-rootprivileges"

Just kidding.

:Dir*g*.