Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 AM

Default gentoo prefix on redhat 7.2

Hi guys,

I have just find a very old machine running redhat 7.2 + linux 2.4 +
glibc 2.2.

Bootstraping works fine with gcc-4.2.4, until I emerged gcc-4.4.3-r2 and
the final "emerge -u system".

Almost everything generates an error like:

,----
| In file included from /usr/include/signal.h:358,
| from bzip2.c:53:
| /usr/include/bits/sigthread.h:36: error: storage class specified for
| parameter 'type name'
`----

/usr/include/signal.h is from glibc, so I think gcc-4.4.3 is not
compatable with glibc 2.2.

Q1: what is the lastest gcc version supported by glibc 2.2?
Q2: is it possible to emerge a new glibc on top of the old one?

--
XU Benda
Research Center for Neutrino Science

http://www.awa.tohoku.ac.jp/~benda

Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM

redhat 7.3 was the first linux i used 8 years ago. there a use for this
or did you just want to see if it can work ? i recall trying to get
prefix on ps2 and that was about the same as redhat 7.2, upstream might
not accept patches to get it to work. you would just be old packages, the
ps2 has another disadvantage of being whacky hardware.

matt

`----

Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 AM

Hello Matt,

mattmatteh@gmail.com writes:

> redhat 7.3 was the first linux i used 8 years ago. there a use for
> this or did you just want to see if it can work ?

I am a normal user so I need to get used to any environment the
administrator gives. There happens to be a redhat 7.2 machine on which I
tried Prefix.

> i recall trying to get prefix on ps2 and that was about the same as
> redhat 7.2, upstream might not accept patches to get it to work. you
> would just be old packages, the ps2 has another disadvantage of being
> whacky hardware.

Currently there are some problems on the old glibc version and kernel
version.

For example, I want to use user mode linux (uml) on it. The glibc-2.2
will not build 2.6.3x kernels. If I compiled the uml kernel elsewhere
and copy to the old machine, there would be "kernel version too low"
fetal error, which is because glibc on the building machine do not have
kernel 2.4 support.

I was wondering if there is a way to build a binary against lastest
glibc and still keep the compatability to run on 2.4 kernels.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM

redhat 7.3 was the first linux i used 8 years ago. there a use for
this or did you just want to see if it can work ?

I am a normal user so I need to get used to any environment the
administrator gives. There happens to be a redhat 7.2 machine on which I
tried Prefix.

i suggest yoiu find out the reason for lack of update, and suggest an
update.

For example, I want to use user mode linux (uml) on it. The glibc-2.2
will not build 2.6.3x kernels. If I compiled the uml kernel elsewhere
and copy to the old machine, there would be "kernel version too low"
fetal error, which is because glibc on the building machine do not have
kernel 2.4 support.

I was wondering if there is a way to build a binary against lastest
glibc and still keep the compatability to run on 2.4 kernels.

i think only some embedded apps might use kernel 2.4 where memory is
really tiny and a problem or there are proprietary drivers they need.

matt