Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Jeremy Olexa

Default Packages file

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:17:44 +0100, Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've setup a binhost for FreeMiNT and it's working, but there's the
>
> The file /usr/portage/packages/Packages is generated by the "emaint -f
> binhost" command.
>
> Now for some reason, only some of the packages are tagged with "EPREFIX"
> and others are not.

In the Packages file, EPREFIX should be mentioned once and only once.
There is a key in the xpak data of every individual package that stores
EPREFIX.

You can see my Packages file:
http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/Packages
And all the xpak data explicitly enumerated out in the html view here:
http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/html/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/

So, the question is, what are you doing differently in this regard? Or
probably: What does EPREFIX="" do in your config regarding generating the
xpak data. It could very well be a broken code path in portage when
EPREFIX="". I've built entire prefix's from binpkgs without issue and
exposed a few issues with my first attempts (now resolved).

-Jeremy

Old 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 30-04-2010 00:07:15 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:17:44 +0100, Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've setup a binhost for FreeMiNT and it's working, but there's the
> >
> > The file /usr/portage/packages/Packages is generated by the "emaint -f
> > binhost" command.
> >
> > Now for some reason, only some of the packages are tagged with "EPREFIX"
> > and others are not.
>
> In the Packages file, EPREFIX should be mentioned once and only once.
> There is a key in the xpak data of every individual package that stores
> EPREFIX.
>
> You can see my Packages file:
> http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/Packages
> And all the xpak data explicitly enumerated out in the html view here:
> http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/html/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/
>
> So, the question is, what are you doing differently in this regard? Or
> probably: What does EPREFIX="" do in your config regarding generating the
> xpak data. It could very well be a broken code path in portage when
> EPREFIX="". I've built entire prefix's from binpkgs without issue and
> exposed a few issues with my first attempts (now resolved).

One of the issues with binpkgs is that old binaries don't get updated.
So if you have old binaries around, try rebuilding them (using e.g.
quickpkg). Not sure how old your install is, but at some point changes
were made to the metadata keys, of which I'm not sure rebuilding will
actually help, since they are being taken from the VDB. Anyway, perhaps
you can avoid recompiling (if stuff is old) by comparing the
/var/db/pkg/X directories for a working and non-working package.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 00:07 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:17:44 +0100, Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I've setup a binhost for FreeMiNT and it's working, but there's the
> >
> > The file /usr/portage/packages/Packages is generated by the "emaint -f
> > binhost" command.
> >
> > Now for some reason, only some of the packages are tagged with "EPREFIX"
> > and others are not.
>
> In the Packages file, EPREFIX should be mentioned once and only once.
> There is a key in the xpak data of every individual package that stores
> EPREFIX.
>
> You can see my Packages file:
> http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/Packages
> And all the xpak data explicitly enumerated out in the html view here:
> http://tinderbox.jolexa.net/html/x86-linux-on-gentoo-x86/
>
> So, the question is, what are you doing differently in this regard? Or
> probably: What does EPREFIX="" do in your config regarding generating the
> xpak data. It could very well be a broken code path in portage when
> EPREFIX="". I've built entire prefix's from binpkgs without issue and
> exposed a few issues with my first attempts (now resolved).

Perfect. Thanks for this information Jeremy !

So, I removed my current Packages file and re-ran "emaint -f binhost"
which completely regenerated the file.

Problem is that "EPREFIX" isn't mentioned anywhere after the rebuild. If
I manually re-add the line....

EPREFIX: /

to the top of the Packages file then my clients start to work fine.

Not sure why it's not injecting EPREFIX though now. Any clues where to
look ?

Alan.