Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?

On 30-03-2010 07:19:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
> just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
> installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
> chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
> be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
> yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
> convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
>
> "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
> and
> "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
>
> those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
> perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
> (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it

That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:

original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix

As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
when you suddenly make a string smaller

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Johan Hattne

On 30 Mar 2010, at 03:13, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 30-03-2010 07:19:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
>> just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
>> installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
>> chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
>> be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
>> yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
>> convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
>>
>> "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
>> and
>> "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
>>
>> those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
>> perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
>> (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it
>
> That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
> trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:
>
> original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
> target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix
>
> As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
> be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
> when you suddenly make a string smaller

Apologies for resurrecting this topic, and I just realised I've probably been confusing chpathtool with chrpath during all previous discussions, but I haven't seen any mention of patchelf. I got the Intel compiler running in a Linux-prefixed-portage last week.

// Cheers; Johan

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 05-04-2010 23:18:35 -0500, Johan Hattne wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2010, at 03:13, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>
> > On 30-03-2010 07:19:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
> >> just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
> >> installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
> >> chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
> >> be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
> >> yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
> >> convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
> >>
> >> "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
> >> and
> >> "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
> >>
> >> those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
> >> perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
> >> (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it
> >
> > That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
> > trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:
> >
> > original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
> > target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix
> >
> > As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
> > be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
> > when you suddenly make a string smaller
>
> Apologies for resurrecting this topic, and I just realised I've
> probably been confusing chpathtool with chrpath during all previous
> discussions, but I haven't seen any mention of patchelf. I got the
> Intel compiler running in a Linux-prefixed-portage last week.

What can patchelf do that you needed to get it going?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Johan Hattne

On 04/06/10 01:25, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 05-04-2010 23:18:35 -0500, Johan Hattne wrote:

>>> That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
>>> trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:
>>>
>>> original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
>>> target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix
>>>
>>> As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
>>> be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
>>> when you suddenly make a string smaller
>>
>> Apologies for resurrecting this topic, and I just realised I've
>> probably been confusing chpathtool with chrpath during all previous
>> discussions, but I haven't seen any mention of patchelf. I got the
>> Intel compiler running in a Linux-prefixed-portage last week.
>
> What can patchelf do that you needed to get it going?

It can set (grow or shrink) the rpath. It can also set the run-time
linker, but I didn't seem to need that for this exercise. ebuild attached.

// Cheers; Johan
# Copyright 1999-2010 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header:$

EAPI="3"

DESCRIPTION="A small utility to modify the dynamic linker and RPATH of ELF executables"
HOMEPAGE="http://nixos.org/patchelf.html"
SRC_URI="http://hydra.nixos.org/build/114505/download/2/${PN}-${PV}.tar.bz2"

KEYWORDS="~x86-linux"
LICENSE="GPL-3"
SLOT="0"

src_configure() {
econf --docdir="${EROOT}/usr/share/doc/${PN}-${PV}"
|| die "configure failed"
}

src_install() {
emake install DESTDIR="${D}" || die "make install failed"
}