Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default Our ongoing migration efforts

Hey all,

Just a quick note on a little insight I created yesterday that I'd like
to share with you.
At some point at the start of this year I decided to start collecting
timing information on the rsync generation process. This process is
what generates the usr/portage tree that most of you will use when you
emerge --sync against an rsync mirror.
On that matter we now have 3 active mirrors, of which 2 in the US, 1 in
Europe. Our rsync3 which is still listed is soon about to disappear
forgood as it has been replaced by rsync5. To get an idea what the
mirrors are doing, have a look at this plot:
http://stats.prefix.freens.org/rsync-usage-last4weeks.png

Back to the rsync generation process, I'm happy to see that since the
beginning of this year, we make a steady improvement:
http://stats.prefix.freens.org/timing-rsync0-full.png
As you can see the total time is going up, at the same rate of the cvs
update of gx86 packages. This simply means that more and more packages
from gx86 are whitelisted all the time, which is good! A proof that
it's not just the machine getting slower is in the green line for the
svn update of the prefix overlay, which is going down; less to update,
so packages are really removed Since our tree grows, metadata cache
generation (egencache) takes more and more time, so it all fits! The
final proof that we really are working on moving packages over to gx86
is in the graph that shows the keywording amounts for all architectures.
If you look closely, you can see a steep growth of the "all" line, which
represents the number of packages in the tree. Many are "added" without
any Prefix keywords, simply because we whitelist entire categories.

Conclusion, our migration is going steady, at least we're not standing
still. Thanks all who work on it!

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level