Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 AM
velociraptor

Default alt-prefix newbie question...

I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
theoretically oriented?

I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.

Thanks in advance--
=Nadine=

Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Jeremy Olexa

velociraptor wrote:

I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
theoretically oriented?

I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.

Thanks in advance--
=Nadine=

Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the
changes outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to
answer if you had a specific questions.

-Jeremy

[1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml

Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Peter Ansell

2010/1/6 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
> velociraptor wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
>> suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
>> alt-prefix users? *Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
>> oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. *Barring that,
>> perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
>> theoretically oriented?
>>
>> I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
>> compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
>> available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.
>>
>> Thanks in advance--
>> =Nadine=
>>

> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the changes
> outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to answer if you
> had a specific questions.

I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
document that utilise each of the variables.

Cheers,

Peter

Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 AM
velociraptor

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/6 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org>:
>> velociraptor wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
>>> suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
>>> alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
>>> oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
>>> perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
>>> theoretically oriented?
>>>
>>> I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
>>> compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
>>> available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance--
>>> =Nadine=
>>>

>> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the changes
>> outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to answer if you
>> had a specific questions.
>
> I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
> prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
> know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
> step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
> as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
> semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
> It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
> document that utilise each of the variables.

Thanks, Peter, that sums it up nicely. Any step-by-step recipe type
instance would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find something
like that for Gentoo, either. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo
documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
while.

Maybe I should start by standing up a Gentoo VM and taking a look at
the Linux ebuild of netatalk as a jumping off point.

Best regards--
=Nadine=

Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Jeremy Olexa

velociraptor wrote:

[...]

Yea, I'm not trying to be elitist or anything, but the changes needed
for Gentoo Prefix ebuilds really require the understanding of Gentoo
Linux ebuilds in general. Otherwise you don't know what D->ED really
means, etc. Luckily, we provide a script that can do such conversions.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml

Start here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html

documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
while.

Then convert it to Gentoo Prefix. So, a basic example based on netatalk:

- --with-bdb=/usr
+ --with-bdb=${EPREFIX}/usr

-rm -rf "${D}/etc/pam.d"
+rm -rf "${ED}/etc/pam.d"

-mv "${D}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
+mv "${ED}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}

-rm "${D}"/usr/bin/timeout "${D}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
+rm "${ED}"/usr/bin/timeout "${ED}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die

And, from a my quick glance now, that should be it. (besides adding your
arch keyword)

Hope that clears some waters. Really the best documentation is examples,
there are 2500+ examples in the prefix tree.

-Jeremy

Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
velociraptor

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@gentoo.org> wrote:
> velociraptor wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
>>> prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
>>> know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
>>> step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
>>> as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
>>> semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
>>> It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
>>> document that utilise each of the variables.
>
> Yea, I'm not trying to be elitist or anything, but the changes needed for
> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds really require the understanding of Gentoo Linux
> ebuilds in general. Otherwise you don't know what D->ED really means, etc.
> Luckily, we provide a script that can do such conversions.
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
>

>> Thanks, Peter, that sums it up nicely. Any step-by-step recipe type
>> instance would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find something
>> like that for Gentoo, either. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo
>
> Start here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html
>
>> documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
>> but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
>> on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
>> developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
>> while.
>
> Then convert it to Gentoo Prefix. So, a basic example based on netatalk:
>
> - --with-bdb=/usr
> + --with-bdb=${EPREFIX}/usr
>
> -rm -rf "${D}/etc/pam.d"
> +rm -rf "${ED}/etc/pam.d"
>
> -mv "${D}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
> +mv "${ED}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
>
> -rm "${D}"/usr/bin/timeout "${D}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
> +rm "${ED}"/usr/bin/timeout "${ED}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
>
> And, from a my quick glance now, that should be it. (besides adding your
> arch keyword)
>
> Hope that clears some waters. Really the best documentation is examples,
> there are 2500+ examples in the prefix tree.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy. I'll have a dig around
again in the ebuild writing section, look at the script and the
ebuilds themselves and come back with any specific questions I have.
I'll take a snapshot before I start mucking about so I can roll back
easily should get myself into a complete mess.

=Nadine=

Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 06-01-2010 07:22:34 -0800, velociraptor wrote:
> > Hope that clears some waters. Really the best documentation is examples,
> > there are 2500+ examples in the prefix tree.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy. I'll have a dig around
> again in the ebuild writing section, look at the script and the
> ebuilds themselves and come back with any specific questions I have.
> I'll take a snapshot before I start mucking about so I can roll back
> easily should get myself into a complete mess.

Did you notice that netatalk is already in the normal Gentoo tree?
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-fs/netatalk

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
velociraptor

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM, <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy. *I'll have a dig around
>>> again in the ebuild writing section, look at the script and the
>>> ebuilds themselves and come back with any specific questions I have.
>>> I'll take a snapshot before I start mucking about so I can roll back
>>> easily should get myself into a complete mess.
>>
>> Did you notice that netatalk is already in the normal Gentoo tree?
>> http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-fs/netatalk

Yes, I did see that it's there. I'll build a Gentoo VM over the
weekend to use as an example to take a stab at getting it running in
my Solaris alt-prefix. I thought it best to start with a Netatalk
ebuild, because know it works on Solaris. :-) I've been using
Virtual Box for things I can't run under Solaris (like TwonkyMedia
Server, a commercial product). There are a few other things I'm
hoping I can get ebuilds going for so I can move them to native
Solaris.

> looking at that ebuild, doesnt look too hard, but i think init scripts do
> not work in prefix yet ?

I wouldn't be using Gentoo init scripts, I have xml manifest and a
script I can modify to put it under Solaris' Service Management
Facility.

Thanks for your input--
=Nadine=

Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM
velociraptor

Dredging up an old thread, but I just wanted to add this doc I found
which helped me get going with fixing my gettext problem:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Writing_Ebuilds#How_to_Fix

More of a step-by-step than the other ebuild docs.

=Nadine=