Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Fabian Groffen

Default QA Notice ...

On 04-01-2010 23:23:58 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to help what's needs to happen ?
>
> At the moment, all I can see is that these changes need reverting to
> unbreak things.

How does the latest portage behave in this respect? What I find
confusing is that only mint seems to suffer from this, whereas this
should be pretty global. Also STARTDIR is never referenced, just set,
and I found no proof that bash uses it in some way.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 12:38 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 04-01-2010 23:23:58 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > Is there anything I can do to help what's needs to happen ?
> >
> > At the moment, all I can see is that these changes need reverting to
> > unbreak things.
>
> How does the latest portage behave in this respect? What I find
> confusing is that only mint seems to suffer from this, whereas this
> should be pretty global. Also STARTDIR is never referenced, just set,
> and I found no proof that bash uses it in some way.

O.k. I can now remove STARTDIR and it's still fine and also the hunk
about injecting EPREFIX.

But there's still a problem with one of the following...

+ mysettings["EPREFIX"] = EPREFIX.rstrip(os.path.sep)
+ mysettings["ROOT"] = myroot
+ mysettings["EROOT"] = myroot +
mysettings["EPREFIX"].lstrip(os.path.se
p) + os.path.sep

As otherwise I got this.....

You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
--> /usr/share/eselect/modules

When trying to emerge app-admin/eselect-ctags

I'm just pinning down which of them cause it.

Alan.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 07-01-2010 12:25:08 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 12:38 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > On 04-01-2010 23:23:58 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > > Is there anything I can do to help what's needs to happen ?
> > >
> > > At the moment, all I can see is that these changes need reverting to
> > > unbreak things.
> >
> > How does the latest portage behave in this respect? What I find
> > confusing is that only mint seems to suffer from this, whereas this
> > should be pretty global. Also STARTDIR is never referenced, just set,
> > and I found no proof that bash uses it in some way.
>
> O.k. I can now remove STARTDIR and it's still fine and also the hunk
> about injecting EPREFIX.
>
> But there's still a problem with one of the following...
>
> + mysettings["EPREFIX"] = EPREFIX.rstrip(os.path.sep)
> + mysettings["ROOT"] = myroot
> + mysettings["EROOT"] = myroot +
> mysettings["EPREFIX"].lstrip(os.path.se
> p) + os.path.sep
>
> As otherwise I got this.....

> You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
> --> /usr/share/eselect/modules
>
> When trying to emerge app-admin/eselect-ctags
>
> I'm just pinning down which of them cause it.

This I can understand if you don't have EPREFIX set in your environment
(like I always do). So that seems like it needs to be fixed then.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 13:26 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 07-01-2010 12:25:08 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> > > How does the latest portage behave in this respect? What I find
> > > confusing is that only mint seems to suffer from this, whereas this
> > > should be pretty global. Also STARTDIR is never referenced, just set,
> > > and I found no proof that bash uses it in some way.
> >
> > O.k. I can now remove STARTDIR and it's still fine and also the hunk
> > about injecting EPREFIX.
> >
> > But there's still a problem with one of the following...
> >
> > + mysettings["EPREFIX"] = EPREFIX.rstrip(os.path.sep)
> > + mysettings["ROOT"] = myroot
> > + mysettings["EROOT"] = myroot +
> > mysettings["EPREFIX"].lstrip(os.path.se
> > p) + os.path.sep
> >
> > As otherwise I got this.....

> > You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
> > --> /usr/share/eselect/modules
> >
> > When trying to emerge app-admin/eselect-ctags
> >
> > I'm just pinning down which of them cause it.
>
> This I can understand if you don't have EPREFIX set in your environment
> (like I always do). So that seems like it needs to be fixed then.

O.k. so do we just need the EPREFIX line from the above, or EROOT too
given it depends on the setting of EPREFIX ?

Or is there an alternative fix that you'd like me to test ?

Alan.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 13:26 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 07-01-2010 12:25:08 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:

> > > How does the latest portage behave in this respect? What I find
> > > confusing is that only mint seems to suffer from this, whereas this
> > > should be pretty global. Also STARTDIR is never referenced, just set,
> > > and I found no proof that bash uses it in some way.
> >
> > O.k. I can now remove STARTDIR and it's still fine and also the hunk
> > about injecting EPREFIX.
> >
> > But there's still a problem with one of the following...
> >
> > + mysettings["EPREFIX"] = EPREFIX.rstrip(os.path.sep)
> > + mysettings["ROOT"] = myroot
> > + mysettings["EROOT"] = myroot +
> > mysettings["EPREFIX"].lstrip(os.path.se
> > p) + os.path.sep
> >
> > As otherwise I got this.....

> > You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
> > --> /usr/share/eselect/modules
> >
> > When trying to emerge app-admin/eselect-ctags
> >
> > I'm just pinning down which of them cause it.
>
> This I can understand if you don't have EPREFIX set in your environment
> (like I always do). So that seems like it needs to be fixed then.

Oh, can you also add UNIXMODE to the portage/__init__.py filter
environment as I did in my patch. It's required for FreeMiNT.

Thanks,

Alan.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 07-01-2010 12:45:18 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> Oh, can you also add UNIXMODE to the portage/__init__.py filter
> environment as I did in my patch. It's required for FreeMiNT.

You probably meant whitelist instead of filter.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 23-12-2009 23:00:42 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> With the latest portage I'm now getting.....
>
> * QA Notice: //// double prefix
>
> I know my setup is a little bit of a hybrid as my current EPREFIX is set
> to "/", but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work as it has
> always done.

by the way, set it to "", not "/".

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 07-01-2010 12:44:25 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > This I can understand if you don't have EPREFIX set in your environment
> > (like I always do). So that seems like it needs to be fixed then.
>
> O.k. so do we just need the EPREFIX line from the above, or EROOT too
> given it depends on the setting of EPREFIX ?
>
> Or is there an alternative fix that you'd like me to test ?

Set EPREFIX to the empty string. This previous code probably reinjected
EPREFIX which was by coincidence rstripped.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 12:29 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 07-01-2010 12:45:18 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > Oh, can you also add UNIXMODE to the portage/__init__.py filter
> > environment as I did in my patch. It's required for FreeMiNT.
>
> You probably meant whitelist instead of filter.

Absolutely correct :-)

Alan.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Alan Hourihane

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 12:35 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 23-12-2009 23:00:42 +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > With the latest portage I'm now getting.....
> >
> > * QA Notice: //// double prefix
> >
> > I know my setup is a little bit of a hybrid as my current EPREFIX is set
> > to "/", but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work as it has
> > always done.
>
> by the way, set it to "", not "/".

As soon as I do that I get this....

!!! /usr/lib/portage/pym/etc/make.profile is not a symlink and will
probably prevent most merges.
!!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
!!! (You can safely ignore this message when syncing. It's harmless.)

!!! If you have just changed your profile configuration, you should
revert
!!! back to the previous configuration. Due to your current profile
being
!!! invalid, allowed actions are limited to --help, --info, --sync, and
!!! --version.

Alan.