-   -   About KEYWORDS in the prefix tree (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-alt/286071-about-keywords-prefix-tree.html)

Jeremy Olexa 11-25-2009 01:18 PM

About KEYWORDS in the prefix tree

All -
Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
(~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having
more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
work for prefix.

I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the packages
ourselves)

Here is some help:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml

Please ask if you need help with something.
-Jeremy

Alan Hourihane 11-25-2009 01:41 PM

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 08:18 -0600, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> All -
> Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
> were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
> (~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having
> more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
> That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
> your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
> work for prefix.
>
> I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
> to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
> keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
> package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the packages
> ourselves)
>
> Here is some help:
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
>
> Please ask if you need help with something.

Just a question on this.

Are we going to see portage merged in with mainline ?

And if so, how is a prefix defined differently from normal usage ?

Thanks,

Alan.

Jeremy Olexa 11-25-2009 02:08 PM

About KEYWORDS in the prefix tree

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:41:09 +0000, Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 08:18 -0600, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
>> All -
>> Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
>> were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
>> (~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having

>> more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
>> That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
>> your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
>> work for prefix.
>>
>> I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
>> to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
>> keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
>> package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the
packages
>> ourselves)
>>
>> Here is some help:
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
>>
>> Please ask if you need help with something.
>
> Just a question on this.
>
> Are we going to see portage merged in with mainline ?

Are you talking about prefix-portage (the package) or portage (the tree)?
If the latter, its already being done (what this email is about) and you
as
a prefix and gentoo linux user haven't noticed so I guess it is pretty
transparent. ;)
http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/whitelist.txt

If you are talking about the package, then it is being worked on. No ETA.

Alan Hourihane 11-25-2009 02:12 PM

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:08 +0000, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:41:09 +0000, Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 08:18 -0600, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> >> All -
> >> Heads up. Historically, the prefix tree contained *only* ebuilds that
> >> were tested to work. As such, they had "prefix" style keywords.
> >> (~amd64-linux, ~ppc-macos, etc). Going forward, our tree will be having
>
> >> more and more ebuilds that have not been tested to work with prefix.
> >> That is, no prefix keywords but maybe ~amd64, ppc, etc. You cannot set
> >> your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "amd64" and expect an unchecked ebuild to just
> >> work for prefix.
> >>
> >> I've seen more than one person on IRC ask about this, a guaranteed way
> >> to set yourself up for failure. If an ebuild is missing your *prefix*
> >> keyword, then it needs to be fixed and file a bug for the working
> >> package. (We do not have the manpower/motivation to fix all the
> packages
> >> ourselves)
> >>
> >> Here is some help:
> >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
> >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
> >>
> >> Please ask if you need help with something.
> >
> > Just a question on this.
> >
> > Are we going to see portage merged in with mainline ?
>
> Are you talking about prefix-portage (the package) or portage (the tree)?
> If the latter, its already being done (what this email is about) and you
> as
> a prefix and gentoo linux user haven't noticed so I guess it is pretty
> transparent. ;)
> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/whitelist.txt
>
> If you are talking about the package, then it is being worked on. No ETA.

The package. So good to know it's being worked on. Thanks.

Alan.