Old 12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Nimish Pachapurkar

Default WAMP stack with prefixed portage

Hello All,

At SpikeSource, we have been using prefixed portage for a while now as
our build, test, and runtime framework. We have been using prefixed
portage on Cygwin as well for our Windows stack builds. I had also
posted a few patches some months ago on this list to get portage to work
on Cygwin. (It is actually surprisingly easy!)

This week we released a free WAMP stack
(http://developer.spikesource.com/wiki/index.php/SpikeWAMP) on our
developer site. The cool thing is we decided to ship prefixed portage
along with a minimal cygwin distribution. So the portage runtime now
works in the installed environment. We find is extremely useful, because
now we can leverage the config file protection, update mechanism, and
package management that is build into Portage. That allowed us to build
the ability to apply updates to the stack and also choose and install
from serveral PHP web applications as add-ons.

Just wanted to share our experience with you folks. And thanks for all
the great work!

- Nimish