Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
"Lamar Owen"

Default Fedora vs Ubuntu

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
> Ubuntu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
> both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
> makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.

Please read
http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-30-020-26-OP-CY-SW

There are some things Fedora can learn from Ubuntu. And likewise Ubuntu can
learn (and is learning) from Fedora. As two minor nits, the Ubuntu update
manager is not synaptic, and is not available for RPM systems; and apt4dpkg
is a different beast in some respects from apt4rpm. It would be nice if the
Ubuntu updater were available to run on apt4rpm, as it's the best GUI updater
I've seen.

Now, pup _is_ getting better; I look forward to being able to click on
a 'upgrade your system to F9' (or whatever version) button that works as well
as what Ubuntu provides. The tech exists in Fedora to do this; like I said,
read the editorial at LinuxToday. It is a good read.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Hi

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/13806-Fedora-Ubuntu.html

"The difference between Ubuntu and Fedora lies primarily in their
approaches to the end product they produce. Ubuntu's approach is to
produce an easy-to-use desktop alternative to Windows. While not a
Windows clone it is designed to be used by anyone keen to leave Windows
behind. And in this it is remarkably successful.

Fedora, on the other hand, strives to make a desktop operating system
that offers the best that the world of free and open source software has
at the time. It routinely includes software that many other
distributions consider too experimental to use and yet, somehow, manages
to team that with stability."

Rahul