Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Robert Locke

Default SOLVED!!! Fan runs constantly on (Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi ) Please help me.

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 15:58 +0200, bravo_elf wrote:
<snip>
> 1) How can I see my CPU usage and processes load? I mean something like Task Manager in XP,
> when you know exactly which process loads your CPU.
> I've tried SuperKaramba monitors, but only thing I can see out there
> is the CPU load.

There are a couple of utilities. If you are running Gnome a your
desktop, take a look at "gnome-system-monitor". I do not use KDE, but
there used to be a program called kpm. Otherwise, you can try "top"
from a text console.

> 2) Is it normal to see 38% - 40% of CPU usage when I do nothing with my
> laptop? If this is to high, so I need to turn off some other
> (useless)processes too?

38-40% on an idle system is certainly high. But perhaps there are some
cron.daily scripts running in the background. Also, yum-updatesd likes
to do things in the background. But, the above mentioned utilities
should allow you to narrow down the names of the processes that are
utilizing your CPU....

HTH,

--Rob