Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Dean Maluski

Default FC8 Sound not working after kernel update

Just did the yum update of xen kernel on IBM Thinkpad T22.
Afterward system sounds are not playing.
XMMS wasn't working either until I went in and reconfigured from default
PCM to Soundfusion (hw:0,0) In think it was set to default PCM device.
I can go in as root and detect sound card, works.
Also as X user do test sounds OK but when I try to play system sounds
nothbing heard and no complaints in /var/log/messages.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 AM
wwp

Hello Dean,

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 09:07:31 -0500 Dean Maluski <dmaluski@n1ety.com> wrote:

> Just did the yum update of xen kernel on IBM Thinkpad T22.
> Afterward system sounds are not playing.
> XMMS wasn't working either until I went in and reconfigured from default
> PCM to Soundfusion (hw:0,0) In think it was set to default PCM device.
> I can go in as root and detect sound card, works.
> Also as X user do test sounds OK but when I try to play system sounds
> nothbing heard and no complaints in /var/log/messages.

Same here, no more sound in user space. I noticed (maybe unrelated)
this in /var/log/messages:

pulseaudio[3853]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
pulseaudio[3853]:last message repeated 2 times

wwp

Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Dean Maluski

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:52 +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hello Dean,
>

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 09:07:31 -0500 Dean Maluski <dmaluski@n1ety.com> wrote:
>
> > Just did the yum update of xen kernel on IBM Thinkpad T22.
> > Afterward system sounds are not playing.
> > XMMS wasn't working either until I went in and reconfigured from default
> > PCM to Soundfusion (hw:0,0) In think it was set to default PCM device.
> > I can go in as root and detect sound card, works.
> > Also as X user do test sounds OK but when I try to play system sounds
> > nothbing heard and no complaints in /var/log/messages.
>
> Same here, no more sound in user space. I noticed (maybe unrelated)
> this in /var/log/messages:
>
> pulseaudio[3853]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> pulseaudio[3853]:last message repeated 2 times
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> wwp

I left this machine on overnight and to my suprise audio is now working
fine.
Most of my servers of course stay on 24/7 but this laptop is subject to
frequent shutdowns.
I did try to reboot several times Saturday with no improvement.
I've had it on and off several times since it started working and
system sounds are now fine.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 AM
wwp

Hello Dean,

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:22:12 -0500 Dean Maluski <dmaluski@n1ety.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:52 +0100, wwp wrote:
> > Hello Dean,
> >

> > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 09:07:31 -0500 Dean Maluski <dmaluski@n1ety.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Just did the yum update of xen kernel on IBM Thinkpad T22.
> > > Afterward system sounds are not playing.
> > > XMMS wasn't working either until I went in and reconfigured from default
> > > PCM to Soundfusion (hw:0,0) In think it was set to default PCM device.
> > > I can go in as root and detect sound card, works.
> > > Also as X user do test sounds OK but when I try to play system sounds
> > > nothbing heard and no complaints in /var/log/messages.
> >
> > Same here, no more sound in user space. I noticed (maybe unrelated)
> > this in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > pulseaudio[3853]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> > pulseaudio[3853]:last message repeated 2 times
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > wwp
> >
> I left this machine on overnight and to my suprise audio is now working
> fine.
> Most of my servers of course stay on 24/7 but this laptop is subject to
> frequent shutdowns.
> I did try to reboot several times Saturday with no improvement.
> I've had it on and off several times since it started working and
> system sounds are now fine.

On my side, I completely disabled pulse-audio wherever I could. Audio
works as expected now (I use alsa as input and output everywhere I can).

wwp