Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM
bravo_elf

Default SOLVED!!! Fan runs constantly on (Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi ) Please help me.

Hello Tom,

Saturday, December 1, 2007, 1:01:46 PM, you wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:28:27 +0200
> bravo_elf <bravo.elf@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > If this is a new fedora 8 install, the pcscd service is on by default
>> > and the pcscd daemon is busted and runs constantly sucking up as much
>> > cpu as it can get. Perhaps it is the culprit, heating up the cpu and
>> > making the fan need to run?
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> So only thing I need to do is to turn it off?
>> How?

> As root run: /etc/init.d/pcscd stop

> That will turn it off temporarily and you can see if the fan stops
> after things cool down.

> To permanently turn it off run (also as root):

> chkconfig --level 2345 pcscd off

>> How will it affect on my system? I mean not only the fan, perhaps it
>> turns off some other of hardware?

> The pcscd service has something to do with smart card readers.
> Unless you have a smart card reader, you won't need it running.
> (There are bunches of other services you probably don't need
> as well, all taking up memory and cycles).

> To see all the services do: chkconfig --list
> To get hints about what they do: rpm -q -i -f /etc/init.d/<servicename>

The problem is solved mate ^_^ I just stopper this service and fan
started to behave like always.
One more little question (if you don't mind)).

1) How can I see my CPU usage and processes load? I mean something like Task Manager in XP,
when you know exactly which process loads your CPU.
I've tried SuperKaramba monitors, but only thing I can see out there
is the CPU load.

2) Is it normal to see 38% - 40% of CPU usage when I do nothing with my
laptop? If this is to high, so I need to turn off some other
(useless)processes too?

Thanks a lot for your help.

P.S. I'm starting to love Fedora more and more considering the
simplicity of solving the problems which it has. ^_^ And
people which always ready to guide you.

--
Best regards,Ivan mailto:bravo.elf@gmail.com