Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Fedora vs Ububtu

It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
Ubunbtu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.

One gaping hole in the Ubuntu is how to do the equivalent of adding a
repository. How for example would you add the equivalent of the Dell
repository to Ubuntu. It is not at all clear, at least to me.
I am willing to learn if someone is willing to explain. In Ubuntu two
conflicting procedures are presented.

But the real truth is that the two systems are relatively equivalent. In
general Ubuntu uses versions that are generally behind those in Fedora.

It often is pointed out that the update version feature of Ubuntu works
better than the update process in Fedora. But I suspect that is because
the programs available for installation are a much more a closed set.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Ed Greshko

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> It often is pointed out that the update version feature of Ubuntu works
> better than the update process in Fedora. But I suspect that is because
> the programs available for installation are a much more a closed set.

Slow news day? Rehashing the same subject that comes up over and over
again? Not enough email in your inbox?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Charles Curley

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 07:01:57AM -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
> Ubunbtu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
> both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
> makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.
>
> One gaping hole in the Ubuntu is how to do the equivalent of adding a
> repository. How for example would you add the equivalent of the Dell
> repository to Ubuntu. It is not at all clear, at least to me.
> I am willing to learn if someone is willing to explain. In Ubuntu two
> conflicting procedures are presented.

It isn't always easy to find out how to do something in Ubuntu, but
the same complaint applies to Fedora and, I expect, to most other OSs.

Here's what I do: add a line to /etc/apt/sources.list. E.g, for
skype,com:

deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

(http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/repositories.html)

Since I run apt-cache, I point to the apt-cache server, like so:

deb http://phoenix.localdomain:3142/download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

(Isn't it neat: you can get support for Ubuntu on a Fedora list!)

--

Charles Curley /" ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Looking for fine software / Respect for open standards

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 01/12/2007, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It gets sort of tiring to make unfaltering (to Fedora) comparisons to
> Ubunbtu get rather tiring. There are advantages and disadvantages to
> both systems. The fact that apt and synaptic are available in Fedora
> makes the pup vs update manager debate sort of silly.
>
> One gaping hole in the Ubuntu is how to do the equivalent of adding a
> repository. How for example would you add the equivalent of the Dell
> repository to Ubuntu. It is not at all clear, at least to me.
> I am willing to learn if someone is willing to explain. In Ubuntu two
> conflicting procedures are presented.
>
> But the real truth is that the two systems are relatively equivalent. In
> general Ubuntu uses versions that are generally behind those in Fedora.
>
> It often is pointed out that the update version feature of Ubuntu works
> better than the update process in Fedora. But I suspect that is because
> the programs available for installation are a much more a closed set.

I'm a regular user of both OSes. I was just about to write up a
description of why I choose one over the other before I came to my
senses.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

That said, if you ask a specific question I'll gladly give you a
specific answer. By the way, Emacs sucks and VI rules.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.