Old 11-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Joseph Loo

Default moving evo f7 -> f8?

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:52 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 08:21 +0000, Morgan Read wrote:
> > Hello Folks
> >
> > I just up'd from f7 to f8. I copied files/directories:
> > 1. ~/.evolution/
> > 2. ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/
> > 3. ~/.gnome2_private/Evolution
> >
> > Then logged into my user account, copied them back.
> >
> > Now, I start evo for the first time and I'm presented with the Evo Setup
> > Assistant. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? How do I get evo back up?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > M.
> >

> A short tip:
> I usually keep my /home on a different partition - sharing it across
> distribution (CentOS/RHEL/Fedora) and versions (F7/F8, etc)
>
> - Gilboa

Did you shutdown evolution before you did the copy on both machines?
evolution --force-shutdown
--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org

Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:48 -0800, Joseph Loo wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:52 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 08:21 +0000, Morgan Read wrote:
> > > Hello Folks
> > >
> > > I just up'd from f7 to f8. I copied files/directories:
> > > 1. ~/.evolution/
> > > 2. ~/.gconf/apps/evolution/
> > > 3. ~/.gnome2_private/Evolution
> > >
> > > Then logged into my user account, copied them back.
> > >
> > > Now, I start evo for the first time and I'm presented with the Evo Setup
> > > Assistant. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? How do I get evo back up?
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > > M.
> > >

> > A short tip:
> > I usually keep my /home on a different partition - sharing it across
> > distribution (CentOS/RHEL/Fedora) and versions (F7/F8, etc)
> >
> > - Gilboa
> >

> Did you shutdown evolution before you did the copy on both machines?
> evolution --force-shutdown
> --

Nope... nothing.
Just rebooted my F7; installed a fresh copy of F8; start evolution.

- Gilboa

Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Tim

Joseph Loo:
>> Did you shutdown evolution before you did the copy on both machines?
>> evolution --force-shutdown

Gilboa Davara:
> Nope... nothing.
> Just rebooted my F7; installed a fresh copy of F8; start evolution.

You need to (shut it down), at least I always have with any prior
releases. When you log in, parts of it (*) are started up, even if you
don't start up evolution, yourself. You need to shut it completely
down, with that command line, before you put your files in place.

(* The calendar that works with the taskbar clock, for instance.)

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 22:08 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Joseph Loo:
> >> Did you shutdown evolution before you did the copy on both machines?
> >> evolution --force-shutdown
>

> Gilboa Davara:
> > Nope... nothing.
> > Just rebooted my F7; installed a fresh copy of F8; start evolution.
>
> You need to (shut it down), at least I always have with any prior
> releases. When you log in, parts of it (*) are started up, even if you
> don't start up evolution, yourself. You need to shut it completely
> down, with that command line, before you put your files in place.
>
> (* The calendar that works with the taskbar clock, for instance.)

I didn't copy the home directory. It's on a different partition; I just
remounted it on the new machine and presto - Evolution started without a
problem.

As for moving Evo from one machine to the other - I've got an automated
script the calls shutdown; targz parts of the .evolution directory (a
number of folders; calendar; contacts; filters) and moves them to the
new machine.

- Gilboa