Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Doyle Rhynard

Default Problem Installing VMware Tools in Fedora-9

I am having a problem installing VMware Tools in a Fedora-9 VM that I
created using the latest version of Workstation-6. I keep getting the
error message: "The directory of kernel headers (@@VMWARE@@ UTS RELEASE)
does not match your running kernel version (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)" when
it tries to patch the kernel. I have installed several previous version
of Fedora on VMware and never encountered a problem like this.

I checked that
fedora-9-x86_64-DVD/Packages/kernel-headers-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64rpm file
using "rpm -qpl" was what was installed at "/usr/include". I even made a
link under "/usr/src/linux/include" to match the directory structure
that VMware Tools was expecting, but got the same result.

I have seen several messages asking for assistance with Fedora-9
installed with VMware, so it would appear that others have been able to
do it successfully. It is quite possible that I have made some
unintentional mistake somewhere that I am unable to find.

Unfortunately, VMware does not support Fedora because it considers it to
be too experimental and unstable, which is probably accurate, especially
for version 9, so I cannot ask there. If anyone in Fedora-Land has had a
similar experience or has any ideas about how to solve this problem, let
me know.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 16:11 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
> I am having a problem installing VMware Tools in a Fedora-9 VM that I
> created using the latest version of Workstation-6. I keep getting the
> error message: "The directory of kernel headers (@@VMWARE@@ UTS RELEASE)
> does not match your running kernel version (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)" when
> it tries to patch the kernel. I have installed several previous version
> of Fedora on VMware and never encountered a problem like this.
>
> I checked that
> fedora-9-x86_64-DVD/Packages/kernel-headers-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64rpm file
> using "rpm -qpl" was what was installed at "/usr/include". I even made a
> link under "/usr/src/linux/include" to match the directory structure
> that VMware Tools was expecting, but got the same result.
>
> I have seen several messages asking for assistance with Fedora-9
> installed with VMware, so it would appear that others have been able to
> do it successfully. It is quite possible that I have made some
> unintentional mistake somewhere that I am unable to find.
>
> Unfortunately, VMware does not support Fedora because it considers it to
> be too experimental and unstable, which is probably accurate, especially
> for version 9, so I cannot ask there. If anyone in Fedora-Land has had a
> similar experience or has any ideas about how to solve this problem, let
> me know.

You need to run vmware-config.pl (as root). If that doesn't work, Google
for vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz (or anything later than 117),
download, untar and run the runme.pl script (again as root).

poc

Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Doyle Rhynard

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[...]

As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program
running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a
Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if
this is incorrect.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:30 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 16:11 -0700, Doyle Rhynard wrote:
> >
> >> I am having a problem installing VMware Tools in a Fedora-9 VM that I
> >> created using the latest version of Workstation-6. I keep getting the
> >> error message: "The directory of kernel headers (@@VMWARE@@ UTS RELEASE)
> >> does not match your running kernel version (2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64)" when
> >> it tries to patch the kernel. I have installed several previous version
> >> of Fedora on VMware and never encountered a problem like this.
> >>
> >> I checked that
> >> fedora-9-x86_64-DVD/Packages/kernel-headers-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64rpm file
> >> using "rpm -qpl" was what was installed at "/usr/include". I even made a
> >> link under "/usr/src/linux/include" to match the directory structure
> >> that VMware Tools was expecting, but got the same result.
> >>
> >> I have seen several messages asking for assistance with Fedora-9
> >> installed with VMware, so it would appear that others have been able to
> >> do it successfully. It is quite possible that I have made some
> >> unintentional mistake somewhere that I am unable to find.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, VMware does not support Fedora because it considers it to
> >> be too experimental and unstable, which is probably accurate, especially
> >> for version 9, so I cannot ask there. If anyone in Fedora-Land has had a
> >> similar experience or has any ideas about how to solve this problem, let
> >> me know.
> >>

> > You need to run vmware-config.pl (as root). If that doesn't work, Google
> > for vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz (or anything later than 117),
> > download, untar and run the runme.pl script (again as root).
> >
> > poc
> >

> As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program
> running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a
> Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if
> this is incorrect.

You are correct in that the patch is aimed at a Fedora host, but nowhere
in your original message do you state that your host is a Windows
machine. That's a fairly important point to make when asking for help.
Unfortunately it's not a configuration I'm familiar with.

poc

Old 05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You need to run vmware-config.pl (as root). If that doesn't work, Google
>> > for vmware-any-any-update117.tar.gz (or anything later than 117),
>> > download, untar and run the runme.pl script (again as root).
>> >
>> > poc
>> >

>> As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program
>> running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a
>> Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if
>> this is incorrect.
>
> You are correct in that the patch is aimed at a Fedora host, but nowhere
> in your original message do you state that your host is a Windows
> machine. That's a fairly important point to make when asking for help.
> Unfortunately it's not a configuration I'm familiar with.

I have just installed successfully the new 1.0.6 version of VMware Server on F9:

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Paul

Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 11:14 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> As far as I can determine, this is a patch to the Workstation program
> >> running on a Linux host and not the Fedora Guest . I am running with a
> >> Windows host for which this patch is not applicable. Please tell me if
> >> this is incorrect.
> >
> > You are correct in that the patch is aimed at a Fedora host, but nowhere
> > in your original message do you state that your host is a Windows
> > machine. That's a fairly important point to make when asking for help.
> > Unfortunately it's not a configuration I'm familiar with.
>
> I have just installed successfully the new 1.0.6 version of VMware Server on F9:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Downloading the Workstation version (6.0.4) as we speak.

poc

Old 05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 10:24 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I have just installed successfully the new 1.0.6 version of VMware
> Server on F9:
> >
> > http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
>
> Downloading the Workstation version (6.0.4) as we speak.

Unfortunately though the rpm installed and vmware-config.pl ran OK
(except for compile errors with vmblock, which isn't critical) I get an
unrecoverable error as soon as I try to start my Windows virtual
machine.

I guess I'll be reporting it to VMware.

poc

Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 AM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

I have just installed successfully the new 1.0.6 version of VMware

Server on F9:

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Downloading the Workstation version (6.0.4) as we speak.

Unfortunately though the rpm installed and vmware-config.pl ran OK
(except for compile errors with vmblock, which isn't critical) I get an
unrecoverable error as soon as I try to start my Windows virtual
machine.

I guess I'll be reporting it to VMware.

poc

I have similar problems on x86_64 platforms (not yet solved), but no
problems on i386/i686 platforms.