Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default updating USB flash drive MBR to allow boot

Javier Perez wrote:

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM, das <dasd.here@gmail.com
<mailto:dasd.here@gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:13:25 -0500
"Javier Perez" <pepebuho@gmail.com <mailtoepebuho@gmail.com>> wrote:

> I cannot make a bootable USB drive.

Did you try fdisk to make the partition bootable before using
livecd-iso-to-disk?

no
In theory the livecd_to_usb program was supposed to make it bootable as
part of the process. At least that is my

understanding.

In theory you used "fdisk -l" to see if the partition was bootable or
not, how about the practice?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
"Mick M."

> In theory the livecd_to_usb program was supposed to make
> it bootable as
> part of the process. At least that is my
> understanding.
>
> JP

Hi;
as root do "fdisk -l"
Insert stick.
repeat "fdisk -l"

The new entry is your stick - say sdc1.
Now "fdisk /dev/sdc" - note drop the 1.
"p" to show the partition table.
If it is bootable there should be a "*" as the first char.
"a"
"1" for the first partition.
"p" star should be there now.
"w" to write it out.
done.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 AM
das

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:45:38 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> In theory you used "fdisk -l" to see if the partition was bootable or
> not, how about the practice?

Thank you for that. These days mailing lists are becoming progressively
more drab to read without these touches of wit.

--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 05-30-2008, 02:20 AM
"Javier Perez"

*

In theory you used "fdisk -l" to see if the partition was bootable or not, how about the practice?

--

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

*"We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from

the machinations of the wicked." *- from Slashdot

Ok I just arrived back home.
In practice it was marked as bootable.
I downloaded the testdisk program and noticed a couple of interesting things.

As I said, my flash drive is a Kingston Data Traveler 8GB

Look at this extract of the created log
TestDisk 6.9, Data Recovery Utility, February 2008
Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
http://www.cgsecurity.org

Linux version (ext2fs lib: 1.40.8, ntfs lib: 10:0:0, reiserfs lib: none, ewf lib: 2)
Hard disk list
Disk /dev/sda - 163 GB / 152 GiB - CHS 19929 255 63, sector size=512 - ATA Maxtor 6L160P0
Disk /dev/sdb - 250 GB / 232 GiB - CHS 30401 255 63, sector size=512 - ATA WDC WD2500BB-55R

Disk /dev/sdc - 8011 MB / 7640 MiB - CHS 1021 247 62, sector size=512 - Kingston DataTraveler 2.0

Disk /dev/sdc - 8011 MB / 7640 MiB - Kingston DataTraveler 2.0
Partition table type: Intel

Analyse Disk /dev/sdc - 8011 MB / 7640 MiB - CHS 1021 247 62

Geometry from i386 MBR: head=16 sector=32
BAD_RS LBA=32 62
FAT32 at 0/0/33
Info: size boot_sector 15646688, partition 15646688
FAT1 : 2256-17511
FAT2 : 17512-32767
start_rootdir : 32768 root cluster : 2

Data : 32768-15646687
sectors : 15646688
cluster_size : 8
no_of_cluster : 1951740 (2 - 1951741)
fat_length 15256 calculated 15248
heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
sect/track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
Current partition structure:
Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)

*1 * FAT32 LBA*************** 0** 0 33* 1021 179 28** 15646688 [LITTLE OWL]

I wonder if that might have something to do with it? maybe if I reformat and repartition the drive....
This inconsistency might be what makes the drive non bootable, because maybe the BIOS is

expecting something (cylinders, heads) and the drive is givng it something that it cannot make sense of.

JP

--
------------------------------
/\_/
|O O| pepebuho@pananet.com

~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...
m m Pepebuho watches
from his high perch.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
"Bill Crawford"

2008/5/30 Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com>:

> heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> sect/track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> Current partition structure:
> Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> 1 * FAT32 LBA 0 0 33 1021 179 28 15646688 [LITTLE OWL]

I see similar mismatches with a 'phone memory card. Could you try
opening in fdisk and toggling the "dos compatability" flag?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
"Javier Perez"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/5/30 Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com>:

> heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> sect/track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> Current partition structure:
> Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)

> *1 * FAT32 LBA * * * * * * * *0 * 0 33 *1021 179 28 * 15646688 [LITTLE OWL]

I see similar mismatches with a 'phone memory card. Could you try
opening in fdisk and toggling the "dos compatability" flag?

I don't think I can do that anymore. I "fixed" the heads/cylinder and the sectors per track and reformated the drive.
*
At home it did boot, but at my computer at work it does not want to do boot.
Anyway, as soon as i get home I will try to assert the dos compatibility flag, just in case. but it is no longer the same system.
*
JP

--
------------------------------
/\_/
|O O| pepebuho@pananet.com
~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...

m m Pepebuho watches
from his high perch.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:58 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Hi
> I hae a Kingston Data Traveller USB flash drive (8GB) which for some
> reason
> I cannot make a bootable USB drive.
>
> Googling around I came up with this information:
>

> -Some USB flash drives are notorious for having problems with corrupted
> master boot records.....
> Credit goes to BHSPitMonkey for pointing out this fix. The troubled drive
> encountered
> was a Kingston Data Traveler 2GB unit-
>
> I think this makes my unit highly suspect.
>
> The solution in Ubuntu was
>
> we will install the mbr package and use it to create the new mbr on the
> USB
> flash drive
>

> 1. Type *sudo apt-get install mbr*
> 2. Type *fdisk -l* to find out which device is your flash drive
> 3. Type *install-mbr /dev/sdx* (replacing x with your flash device)
>
> My question is how do we do this with Fedora?
> I already tried out the install-live-to-usb thingy and it did not work.
>
> In fact the section in installing the mbr is blank at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

FWIW, I installed F8 on my laptop, with a USB stick as /boot. I had
plenty of issues if I told the installation to install grub to the MBR.
Instead, I wound up having it installed into the /boot partition, instead,
and it worked just fine.

IOW, *my* suggestion is to not use the MBR on the USB stick, at all. YMMV.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM
"Javier Perez"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/5/30 Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com>:

> heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> sect/track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> Current partition structure:
> Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)

> *1 * FAT32 LBA * * * * * * * *0 * 0 33 *1021 179 28 * 15646688 [LITTLE OWL]

Hi, now I can confirm
Changing the partition structure allows my Data Traveller to boot from home, a MSI K8MM-V motherboard.
*
At work, it does not boot, it is an HP Compaq d220 MT with unknown motherboard. The bios has the USB boot option
but it does not want to boot from my flash drive for some reason that I still have to find out.
*

--
------------------------------
/\_/
|O O| pepebuho@pananet.com
~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...
m m Pepebuho watches

from his high perch.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
"Mick M."

Death before Decaf!!!

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:23 AM, Bill Crawford
> <billcrawford1970@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 2008/5/30 Javier Perez <pepebuho@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > heads/cylinder 16 (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> > > sect/track 32 (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> > > Current partition structure:
> > > Warning: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16
> (FAT) != 247 (HD)
> > > Warning: Incorrect number of sectors per track 32
> (FAT) != 62 (HD)
> > > 1 * FAT32 LBA 0 0 33 1021 179
> 28 15646688 [LITTLE
> > OWL]
> >
> > Hi, now I can confirm
> Changing the partition structure allows my Data Traveller
> to boot from home,
> a MSI K8MM-V motherboard.
>
> At work, it does not boot, it is an HP Compaq d220 MT with
> unknown
> motherboard. The bios has the USB boot option
> but it does not want to boot from my flash drive for some
> reason that I
> still have to find out.
>

> --

Hi;
I use vfat:

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 2041 MB, 2041577472 bytes
61 heads, 60 sectors/track, 1089 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3660 * 512 = 1873920 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x04030201

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 1 1089 1992840 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

In fdisk set the type to "c", and make it active.
Then "mkfs.vfat /dev/sdX" to format it.

Mick M.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Bill Davidsen

das wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:45:38 -0400
In theory you used "fdisk -l" to see if the partition was bootable or
not, how about the practice?

Thank you for that. These days mailing lists are becoming progressively
more drab to read without these touches of wit.

You're welcome, wit goes best with a useful suggestion, and Javier did
test that it was bootable, so my thought perhaps eliminated one possible
issue.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>