Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Interesting message... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/9771-interesting-message.html)

Gene Heskett 12-01-2007 06:09 AM

Interesting message...
 
My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it a
fedora 8 install.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server couldn't
be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable. It all worked for
F7. Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.

Is this a usual occurence(sp)?

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Winston Churchill

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Claude Jones 12-01-2007 12:10 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Sat December 1 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it a
> fedora 8 install.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server
> couldn't be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable. *It all
> worked for F7. *Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.
>
> Is this a usual occurence(sp)?

I didn't get that one - did you reboot the machine since the process
completed?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Bruno Wolff III 12-01-2007 01:42 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:09:40 -0500,
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it a
> fedora 8 install.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server couldn't
> be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable. It all worked for
> F7. Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.
>
> Is this a usual occurence(sp)?

I think there was a thread about selinux and printers in the recent past.
You might take a look for it in the archives and see if it looks related
to your problem.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Bruno Wolff III 12-01-2007 01:42 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 02:09:40 -0500,
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
> My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it a
> fedora 8 install.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server couldn't
> be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable. It all worked for
> F7. Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.
>
> Is this a usual occurence(sp)?

I think there was a thread about selinux and printers in the recent past.
You might take a look for it in the archives and see if it looks related
to your problem.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Gene Heskett 12-01-2007 05:35 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Saturday 01 December 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Sat December 1 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> My lappy finally got around to actually installing the updates to make it
>> a fedora 8 install.
>>
>> Imagine my surprise when I saw the message go by that the cups server
>> couldn't be restarted because /etc/cups/cupsd.conf wasn't readable. *It
>> all worked for F7. *Just another of those things that make you go Hummm.
>>
>> Is this a usual occurence(sp)?
>
>I didn't get that one - did you reboot the machine since the process
>completed?

Yes, and it was not repeated on the reboot. Some things didn't survive the
update, like I had to have htop reinstalled for starters. And all my custom
desktop icons are gone but that's fixable.

As for cups, I believe its working as localhost:631/printers is showing me all
the printers shared from this machine just fine. But it took FF a good 35
seconds to run the first time, that is about 25 seconds too slow.

Re this constant cycling of the cpu fan, is there a bug in pcscd? I killed
two copies, neither of which was using any cpu, but only got one copy back
when I restarted it. And it didn't seem to effect the cpu fans cycling when
I stopped it. This lappy does have a card reader but I keep forgetting its
there, and have been plugging in a usb thingy that works just fine.

I may be hearing things too, one of my psu's here in this room has a smart
fans, so I may be hearing that. Way too many fans in here, 9 with the lappy
running. 8 w/o, 2 in the router (dd-wrt) and six in the tower this machine
lives in. I should put the covers back on that tower as it might reduce the
noise some, but would raise the cpu temps too. They hover in the 140F range
when amanda is at full song running gzip -best.

Thanks Claude, I gotta go help the missus with some Christmas lights.

>--
>Claude Jones
>Brunswick, MD, USA



--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow
morning, sleep late.
-- Henny Youngman

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Claude Jones 12-01-2007 07:20 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Sat December 1 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> But it took FF a good 35
> seconds to run the first time, that is about 25 seconds too slow.

This is perfectly normal! First time you run FF after a big update, it spends
a bunch of time checking all the plug-ins you've got installed against
possible updated versions - that includes the gazillion language packs

I did notice another thread about pcscd and fans running if I'm not mistaken -
I didn't read it because my machines are both desktops, but check the posts
over the past day or two

As for the rest of the stuff, as you say, easily fixable

Glad it worked out - I got a little vicariously nervous because of your
rooting proclivities '> ------------------------------------------------->


--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

David Boles 12-01-2007 08:05 PM

Interesting message...
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat December 1 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> But it took FF a good 35
>> seconds to run the first time, that is about 25 seconds too slow.
>
> This is perfectly normal! First time you run FF after a big update, it spends
> a bunch of time checking all the plug-ins you've got installed against
> possible updated versions - that includes the gazillion language packs


The language packs come from Fedora. They 'come back' with every version
change. English is 'built in' but the others are for speakers/readers of
other languages. If you do not need them you, a user, can not remove
them. But 'root' can just delete them. Your FF will load (startup) much
more quickly without them.


> I did notice another thread about pcscd and fans running if I'm not mistaken -
> I didn't read it because my machines are both desktops, but check the posts
> over the past day or two
>
> As for the rest of the stuff, as you say, easily fixable
>
> Glad it worked out - I got a little vicariously nervous because of your
> rooting proclivities '> ------------------------------------------------->
>
>


- --


David
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFHUcySAO0wNI1X4QERAvcGAKCf55xRQsLQ7lnfioIefI PmiWsDFACfTRjY
WUxfleJKXcPdCwmVLfDQE7I=
=4yoe
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Beartooth 12-02-2007 08:30 PM

Interesting message...
 
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:05:22 -0500, David Boles wrote:

>> [...] First time you run FF after a big update, it
>> spends a bunch of time checking all the plug-ins you've got installed
>> against possible updated versions - that includes the gazillion
>> language packs

> The language packs come from Fedora. They 'come back' with every version
> change. English is 'built in' but the others are for speakers/readers of
> other languages. If you do not need them you, a user, can not remove
> them. But 'root' can just delete them. Your FF will load (startup) much
> more quickly without them.

This rouses a pet peeve I've been meaning to raise here for
quite some time; I'm glad at least to have someone to blame.

RANT MODE ON.

I've been doing that, and cursing whoever put them there -- why, why, why?

And if there is some sane reason (which I admit is possible),
couldn't we at least have some choice? Some safer and less tedious way to
dump them en masse?

I did learn the trick, only recently, of launching firefox from a
terminal su'd to root; that saves logging out -- invariably in the middle
of doing umpteen things -- and then back in as root. But you *still* have
to go through the whol fershlugginer list, clicking yourself into carpal
tunnel (and feeling like you're clicking the tunnel in after you) -- just
to uninstall the blasted things, one by mizzawobble one.

It's enough to infuriate a saint, or the legendary Griselda.

There must be some way those of us less than Alpha Plus
Technoids, or with other interests, can give one or two simple commands
as root to dump the lot in one swell foop. What a/o where is that way??

And making them come back, *without* *even* *asking*, is
inexcusable -- it's downright Evil OS nannyism. Shame!

Fedora is a wonderful accomplishment. It should not besmirch
itself.

rant mode off.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
Remember I know precious little of what I am talking about.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Tim 12-02-2007 10:57 PM

Interesting message...
 
Beartooth (regarding all the Firefox language packs):
> I've been doing that, and cursing whoever put them there -- why, why,
> why?
>
> And if there is some sane reason (which I admit is possible),
> couldn't we at least have some choice? Some safer and less tedious way
> to dump them en masse?

I wouldn't mind so much it coming with them all, and checking on them
after a Firefox update, but why does it have to have them all enabled
all the time?

If you got asked, once, what languages can you read, and *that* enabled
the right ones, disabled the rest (and in a disabled state they didn't
bog down your computer), and *it* would also properly set the HTTP
content accept headers, that'd be a good thing.

It'd be a good thing, all-round, for avoiding HTTP 406 errors, and
stupid websites asking you to click on a flag, if the first use of a
browser asked the user what languages they could read, and preferred.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

Using FC 4, 5, 6 & 7, plus CentOS 5. Today, it's FC7.

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.