-   -   USB Install Method? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/97683-usb-install-method.html)

Sean Bruno 05-29-2008 07:58 PM

USB Install Method?

Back in the mists of time, there used to be a "diskimage.img" in the
distribution that you could "dd" to a USB stick and boot the installer
of Fedora. Then you could install via the network or whatever.

The README in images on the x86_64 DVD ISO references diskimage.img, but
the file is AWOL on the image.

According the docs, there is a procedure for installing from a USB
stick, but "Procedure 3.2 Creating Bootable USB Media from Linux"
appears to be blank?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-making-media.html#id543953

Is there still a USB installable method for those of us with a DVD?

Sean

"Patrick O'Callaghan" 05-29-2008 10:09 PM

USB Install Method?

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:58 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> According the docs, there is a procedure for installing from a USB
> stick, but "Procedure 3.2 Creating Bootable USB Media from Linux"
> appears to be blank?
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-making-media.html#id543953

The headings are screwed up. The Windows instructions are in the first
section, followed by the Linux instructions under the heading "Procedure
3.1: Creating Bootable USB Media with Windows". The section entitled
"Procedure 3.2. Creating Bootable USB Media with Linux" is blank.

poc

Sean Bruno 05-30-2008 03:42 AM

USB Install Method?

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 17:39 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:58 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > According the docs, there is a procedure for installing from a USB
> > stick, but "Procedure 3.2 Creating Bootable USB Media from Linux"
> > appears to be blank?
> >
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-making-media.html#id543953
>
> The headings are screwed up. The Windows instructions are in the first
> section, followed by the Linux instructions under the heading "Procedure
> 3.1: Creating Bootable USB Media with Windows". The section entitled
> "Procedure 3.2. Creating Bootable USB Media with Linux" is blank.
>
> poc

Ok, so using the information from Patrick I was able to use
"livecd-iso-to-disk" to turn the "boot.iso" file into a bootable USB
stick.

However, livecd-iso-to-disk requires a vfat or ext2-3 f/s. Do I had to
run mkfs on the thumb drive first.

Sean

"Mike Burger" 05-30-2008 03:54 PM

USB Install Method?

> Ok, so using the information from Patrick I was able to use
> "livecd-iso-to-disk" to turn the "boot.iso" file into a bootable USB
> stick.
>
> However, livecd-iso-to-disk requires a vfat or ext2-3 f/s. Do I had to
> run mkfs on the thumb drive first.

I'm assuming that you're asking.

If so, then no, you shouldn't have to run mkfs on the thumb drive...the
thumb drive (like most removable RAM media...sd cards, compact flash, etc)
is preformated as FAT16 or FAT32, which, in the Linux world, is "vfat".

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

"Patrick O'Callaghan" 05-30-2008 04:20 PM

USB Install Method?

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 20:42 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 17:39 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:58 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > > According the docs, there is a procedure for installing from a USB
> > > stick, but "Procedure 3.2 Creating Bootable USB Media from Linux"
> > > appears to be blank?
> > >
> > > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-making-media.html#id543953
> >
> > The headings are screwed up. The Windows instructions are in the first
> > section, followed by the Linux instructions under the heading "Procedure
> > 3.1: Creating Bootable USB Media with Windows". The section entitled
> > "Procedure 3.2. Creating Bootable USB Media with Linux" is blank.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Ok, so using the information from Patrick I was able to use
> "livecd-iso-to-disk" to turn the "boot.iso" file into a bootable USB
> stick.
>
> However, livecd-iso-to-disk requires a vfat or ext2-3 f/s. Do I had to
> run mkfs on the thumb drive first.

The guide is written for people with a working thumb drive (hence the
comment about the process not deleting your existing data). Also, most
if not all thumbdrives are preformatted.

Still, it would be worth adding the comment. Anyone know how to use
Bugzilla to report documentation bugs?

poc