Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
"Javier Perez"

Default updating USB flash drive MBR to allow boot

Hi
I hae a Kingston Data Traveller USB flash drive (8GB) which for some reason I cannot make a bootable USB drive.
*
Googling around I came up with this information:
*

-Some USB flash drives are notorious for having problems with corrupted master boot records.....
Credit goes to BHSPitMonkey for pointing out this fix. The troubled drive encountered
was a Kingston Data Traveler 2GB unit-
I think this makes my unit highly suspect.
*
The solution in Ubuntu was

we will install the mbr package and use it to create the new mbr on the USB flash drive

Type sudo apt-get install mbr
Type fdisk -l to find out which device is your flash drive
Type install-mbr /dev/sdx (replacing x with your flash device)
My question is how do we do this with Fedora?
I already tried out the install-live-to-usb thingy and it did not work.
*
In fact the section in installing the mbr is blank at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
*
Thanks
*
------------------------------
/\_/
|O O| pepebuho@pananet.com
~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...
m m Pepebuho watches
from his high perch.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
das

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:13:25 -0500
"Javier Perez" <pepebuho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot make a bootable USB drive.

Did you try fdisk to make the partition bootable before using
livecd-iso-to-disk?

--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
"Javier Perez"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:58 PM, das <dasd.here@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:13:25 -0500
"Javier Perez" <pepebuho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot make a bootable USB drive.

Did you try fdisk to make the partition bootable before using

livecd-iso-to-disk?

--
das
ddts.randomink.org

*
no
In theory the livecd_to_usb* program was supposed to make it bootable as part of the process. At least that is my
understanding.
*
JP
--