Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default More Qlogic driver madness.

This is really getting silly. How is it possible that an initrd will
not USE the firmware included with it to allow me to initialize my
Qlogic FC card? I've built my own, I've read everything I can about
initrd and initramfs and I'm still stuck. Are there tools included with
Fedora that let me edit/muck initramfs settings? Or do I have to roll
my own?

I just don't get it, between FC6 2.6.20 and 2.6.22 kernels in FC6 this
capability was broken and no one's complained? I'm really very tempted
to file a bug report on this for F8 and hope it gets fixed that way,
since I'm unable to find an answer.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Albert Graham

Mark Haney wrote:
This is really getting silly. How is it possible that an initrd will
not USE the firmware included with it to allow me to initialize my
Qlogic FC card? I've built my own, I've read everything I can about
initrd and initramfs and I'm still stuck. Are there tools included
with Fedora that let me edit/muck initramfs settings? Or do I have to
roll my own?

I just don't get it, between FC6 2.6.20 and 2.6.22 kernels in FC6 this
capability was broken and no one's complained? I'm really very
tempted to file a bug report on this for F8 and hope it gets fixed
that way, since I'm unable to find an answer.

Mark,

Try something like,

1. Add your qlogic entries to your /etc/modprobe.conf (so that step 3
below will include and load the drivers)

2. Backup your current initrd image

mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img-OLD

3. Create a new initrd

mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

If the card has a newer firmware version than the driver, it should not
use the driver version - normally.

Question: Why the need to build your own - they are included in Fedora,
check with:

ls -la /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla*

Albert.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
"Mark Haney"

Albert Graham wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

1. Add your qlogic entries to your /etc/modprobe.conf (so that step 3
below will include and load the drivers)

Done that. Didn't fix it.

2. Backup your current initrd image

mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img-OLD

3. Create a new initrd

mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Yep, this too, even including unpacking the existing one, adding in the
firmware in /lib/firmware, repacking and trying it that way.

If the card has a newer firmware version than the driver, it should not
use the driver version - normally.

This card is at least 3 years old. It's not a new card. This card has
been used since Fedora Core 2.

Question: Why the need to build your own - they are included in Fedora,
check with:

ls -la /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/scsi/qla*

I'm not looking to build my own module. I'm looking to build either an
initrd that works to get the firmware to load, or a kernel that won't
need initrd at all to load it. I've put in a bug report and apparently
there are other firmware's that are exhibiting the same issues. I'm
hoping it'll be found and fixed soon. I had a thought last night that
maybe only the x86_64 versions were bit by this. The two systems I have
with these cards are Opterons. I'll try the i386 version on my test box
later today and see if I get the same problem.