Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
John Minson

Default Fedora 9/KDE 4 'non kde app'

On all earlier versions of Fedora/kde I was able to add a 'non kde app'
and give it any icon I wanted . I suspect I still can but the mechanism
obviously is different on Fedora 9/KDE 4 .

Any quick pointers ?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:54 -0400, John Minson wrote:
> On all earlier versions of Fedora/kde I was able to add a 'non kde app'
> and give it any icon I wanted . I suspect I still can but the mechanism
> obviously is different on Fedora 9/KDE 4 .
> Any quick pointers ?

See the thread starting at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-May/msg01731.html

poc

Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
John Minson

This link does not address what I'm trying to do.

I create a bash script that runs /some/dir/XYZ.sh . I used to be able
to add an arbitrary icon to my* panel that invokes it .I can in fact
open the file manager and drag /some/dir/XYZ.sh into the panel but I
cannot modify the icon representing it.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Anne Wilson

Please don't top-post. It makes threads difficult to follow.

On Thursday 29 May 2008 19:04:29 John Minson wrote:
> This link does not address what I'm trying to do.
>
> I create a bash script that runs /some/dir/XYZ.sh . I used to be able to
> add an arbitrary icon to my* panel that invokes it .I can in fact open the
> file manager and drag /some/dir/XYZ.sh into the panel but I cannot modify
> the icon representing it.

You must understand that a lot (indeed most) of KDE 4 is work-in-progress.
There are many things that do not yet have the functionality we are used to.
It is the future, so we need to start learning about it now, but improvements
are being made almost daily.

Anne

Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Kevin Kofler

John Minson <minsonj <at> spawar.navy.mil> writes:
> On all earlier versions of Fedora/kde I was able to add a 'non kde app'
> and give it any icon I wanted . I suspect I still can but the mechanism
> obviously is different on Fedora 9/KDE 4 .
> Any quick pointers ?

Surely the right solution is that the app itself should be registering in the
menus on its own!

If the app is a Fedora package, file a bug against the package for the
missing .desktop file, which is required according to:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

If it is a third-party application, complain to wherever you got the
application from.

If it is your own application, have a look at xdg-desktop-menu, or package it
as an RPM and have a look at the packaging guidelines as quoted above.

Kevin Kofler

Old 05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
"Mike Burger"

What if all I want is an icon/shortcut that calls a shell script or command?

There's no "application" or "package" to open against, nor should it be
necessary.

> John Minson <minsonj <at> spawar.navy.mil> writes:
>> On all earlier versions of Fedora/kde I was able to add a 'non kde app'
>> and give it any icon I wanted . I suspect I still can but the mechanism
>> obviously is different on Fedora 9/KDE 4 .
>> Any quick pointers ?
>
> Surely the right solution is that the app itself should be registering in
> the
> menus on its own!
>
> If the app is a Fedora package, file a bug against the package for the
> missing .desktop file, which is required according to:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files
>
> If it is a third-party application, complain to wherever you got the
> application from.
>
> If it is your own application, have a look at xdg-desktop-menu, or package
> it
> as an RPM and have a look at the packaging guidelines as quoted above.
>
> Kevin Kofler

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 11:37 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
What if all I want is an icon/shortcut that calls a shell script or
command?

Other than Mike's penchant for top-posting, I have to agree. (I put your
remarks where they belong, Mike :} ) It's not supposed to be and never
has been a big deal to add a non-kde app to the task-bar or the K-menu.
I've done that for eons. In my Kmenu I have gnome applications as well
as other apps that are non-KDE that I added manually. I picked a likely
icon, as Mike points out, and I'm home free, just as happy as a June
Bug. I'll wait a cycle or two before I install F9. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar