Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
lux

Default ssh to a remote server via gateway server

Hi,
I routinely login a remote server via a 'gateway' machine. For example, I need to login to PC B using ssh. But this PC B is behind a firewall.ssh port on PC A is open.

As a result, I have to login* PC A via ssh, then ssh PC B from PC A.

Is there ssh command line option that I can directly ssh to PC B?

Thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

lux wrote:

Hi,
I routinely login a remote server via a 'gateway' machine. For example,
I need to login to PC B using ssh. But this PC B is behind a
firewall.ssh port on PC A is open.

As a result, I have to login PC A via ssh, then ssh PC B from PC A.

Is there ssh command line option that I can directly ssh to PC B?

Thanks

You could try something like:

ssh [options] user@A "ssh [options] user@B"

You can skip the user@ part if you have the same user name.

ssh -Y PC_A "ssh -Y frank@PC_B"

Mikkel

Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM
lux

| I routinely login a remote server via a 'gateway' machine. For example,

| I need to login to PC B using ssh. But this PC B is behind a

| firewall.ssh port on PC A is open.

| As a result, I have to login *PC A via ssh, then ssh PC B from PC A.

| Is there ssh command line option that I can directly ssh to PC B?

I think that you have to make some firewall rules on your gw to allow

NAT to PC B

I don't have control on the gw for NAT .
*

I'm not sure that Mikkel's solution will work:

"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"

will be the error message.

Yes, I got the same error, as

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
Host key verification failed.

*

- --

François Patte

UFR de mathématiques et informatique

Université Paris Descartes

45, rue des Saints Pères

F-75270 Paris Cedex 06

Tél. +33 (0)1 44 55 35 61

Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

lux wrote:

I'm not sure that Mikkel's solution will work:

"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"

will be the error message.

You can try adding the -t option to the command to run on PC A.

Mikkel

Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 30May2008 08:31, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> lux wrote:
>> I'm not sure that Mikkel's solution will work:
>> "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"
>> will be the error message.
>>
> You can try adding the -t option to the command to run on PC A.

I missed the start of this thread, but you can use the ProxyCommand ssh
option to hop through multiple servers, keeping the "top level" ssh
nicely connected to your terminal and the endpoint (via the proxycommand
tunnel). Which may solve the -t option issue.

I have a script called "sshto" that does exactly this for multihop ssh
connections. Very handy, especially since you can make "sshto" the
default transport for rsync, letting you do multihop rsyncs easily:

rsync some-dir/ host1!host2!host3:some-other-dir/

(You will need the ! on the command prompt line instead of plain ! to
avoid your shell's history substitution syntax - a shell script does
not need the annoying sloshes).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Our job is to make the questions so painful that the only way to make the
pain go away is by thinking. - Fred Friendly

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Cameron Simpson wrote:

[...]

It sounds like you have experience with what he is trying to do, so
please continue to advice the OP. What he is does now is ssh to PC
A, and then ssh to PC B. What he wants to ssh to PC B in one
command, but he has to go through PC A. (firewall machine?)

Mikkel

Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 30May2008 19:14, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> I missed the start of this thread, but you can use the ProxyCommand ssh
>> option to hop through multiple servers, keeping the "top level" ssh
>> nicely connected to your terminal and the endpoint (via the proxycommand
>> tunnel). Which may solve the -t option issue.
>>
>> I have a script called "sshto" that does exactly this for multihop ssh
>> connections. Very handy, especially since you can make "sshto" the
>> default transport for rsync, letting you do multihop rsyncs easily:
>>
>> rsync some-dir/ host1!host2!host3:some-other-dir/
>
> It sounds like you have experience with what he is trying to do, so
> please continue to advice the OP. What he is does now is ssh to PC A, and
> then ssh to PC B. What he wants to ssh to PC B in one command, but he has
> to go through PC A. (firewall machine?)

Then he definitely wants sshto:

http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/sshto

Conveniently, it can make use of an sshtorc file that maps "name" into an
arbitrary "name1!name2!name3!..." ssh hop path. I routiney get only
certain hosts as "sshto foo" where "foo" designates a multihop ssh path.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

My motto is, 'Do it my way or watch your butt.' - Nathan Arizona

Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 31May2008 13:57, I wrote:
| Conveniently, it can make use of an sshtorc file that maps "name" into an
| arbitrary "name1!name2!name3!..." ssh hop path. I routiney get only
| certain hosts as "sshto foo" where "foo" designates a multihop ssh path.

s/only/onto/

Whoops.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

NFS: Not a File System

Old 05-31-2008, 04:28 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 13:58 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 31May2008 13:57, I wrote:
> | Conveniently, it can make use of an sshtorc file that maps "name" into an
> | arbitrary "name1!name2!name3!..." ssh hop path. I routiney get only
> | certain hosts as "sshto foo" where "foo" designates a multihop ssh path.
>
> s/only/onto/
>
> Whoops.

s/Whoops/Oops/

:-)

poc

Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 AM
lux

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> wrote:

On 30May2008 19:14, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Cameron Simpson wrote:

>> I missed the start of this thread, but you can use the ProxyCommand ssh

>> option to hop through multiple servers, keeping the "top level" ssh

>> nicely connected to your terminal and the endpoint (via the proxycommand

>> tunnel). Which may solve the -t option issue.

>> I have a script called "sshto" that does exactly this for multihop ssh

>> connections. Very handy, especially since you can make "sshto" the

>> default transport for rsync, letting you do multihop rsyncs easily:

>> * rsync some-dir/ host1!host2!host3:some-other-dir/

> It sounds like you have experience with what he is trying to do, so

> please continue to advice the OP. What he is does now is ssh to PC A, and

> then ssh to PC B. What he wants to ssh to PC B in one command, but he has

> to go through PC A. (firewall machine?)

Then he definitely wants sshto:

*http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/sshto

Conveniently, it can make use of an sshtorc file that maps "name" into an

arbitrary "name1!name2!name3!..." ssh hop path. I routiney get only

certain hosts as "sshto foo" where "foo" designates a multihop ssh path.

Sounds a* very interesting tool. I gave it a try. But

what is shqstr?
looks a like a command, but not in my system

thanks

Cheers,