-   -   Problems with NIS and automount on fedora8 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/9735-problems-nis-automount-fedora8.html)

"Wallace, Brooke" 12-01-2007 03:02 AM

Problems with NIS and automount on fedora8

I'm trying to bring
up a machine on our network with fedora8.
*
The install went
well, and it was working until we tried to tie it into NIS.
*
I did the prescribed
edits to /etc/yp.conf, auto.master, nsswitch, etc. But can't seem to get things
working. We have many RHEL4 and RHEL5 systems working just fine. I tried makeing
these files exactly the same as those system, but still no
go.
*
Currently the
systems X11 greeter is no longer starting up (it was initially) - now it just
hangs after everything appears to come up normally from a
reboot.
*
Switching to single
user mode...
*
I can ping systems
on the network using IP addresses - no problem
*
Using hostnames w/
or w/o domain name is now finding the IP, but then generates the following
messages:
*
# ping
hostbar.domainfoo.com
PING
hostbar.domainfoo.com (172,12.34.56) 56(84) bytes of data.
do_ypcall:
clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

do_ypcall:
clnt_call: RPC: Timed out
64 bytes from hostbar.domainfoo.com
(172.12.34.56): icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.470 ms
*
--- hostbar.domainfoo.com ping statistics
---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet
loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
0.470/0.470/0.470/0.000 ms
*
I saw some posts about do_ypcall ... RPC:
Timed out. One mentioned the nscd, so I started that service, others pretty much
sounded like syntax errors in config files, firewall, or bad cables.

*
I'm pretty sure I ruled out bad eth driver,
cables, and connection since I can ping using ip address, and I can even connect
via samba, using "user" authentication and ship files to the machine*w/no
problems or delays observed.
*
My IT guy is hapring on the fact that its a
new fedora release and may not work on my hardware (drivers), or that another
machine on the network has got the same IP as mine using DHCP (since our routers
are losy).
*
So again the real issue is getting NIS to
work. This is what my config is:
*
/etc/yp.conf:
ypserver 172.12.34.56 # this is the correct
address of our yp server (same as other linux hosts on the network are
using)
domain domainfoo.com broadcast # this is the
correct domain as well
*
/etc/auto.master:
/mnt/pkg*** /etc/auto.pkg -g

/mnt/sweng /etc/auto.sweng -g
/usr2*******
yp:auto.home
*
/etc/auto.pkg:
RPM.rhel4WS_FOO -fstype=nfs
somehost.domainfoo.com:/pkg.RHEL_4/FOOpackages
*
/etc/auto.sweng
archives -fstype=nfs
anotherhost.domainfoo.com:/opt/mnt/bar/archives
*
I've also added the following to the end of
/etc/passwd as per instructions from our IT docs (although current linux system
do not have this):
+::::::
*
I guess auto.home is on the NIS
server....
*
One more note: I am able to see
/mnt/pkg/RPM.rhel4WS_FOO w/o problems....
*
*
Any help someone can give me, or pointers to
things to try would be very much appreciated. Unfortunately our IT guys are
afraid of Linux and just want to support Winblows and thier ancient Solaris
systems.
*
-Brooke

"Dave Burns" 12-01-2007 03:40 AM

Problems with NIS and automount on fedora8

Seeing your log messages might help. and output from rpcinfo -p. When
I get that slow NIS timeout torture, I usually try turning off the
firewall and selinux (just for a little test). Seems to me it is often
one of those, or nsswitch.conf. Did the NIS server even bind? Weird
output from /etc/init.d/ypbind restart?
HTH,
Dave

"Wallace, Brooke" 12-12-2007 10:41 AM

Problems with NIS and automount on fedora8

Thanks,

The issue was the Firewall. I had that on my list, but it was the last
thing I checked because I configured NIS when I ran the install, thus I
assumed the firewall would be set correctly for NIS. Guess I was wrong.
Perhaps this is am install bug?

BTW - I had already checked the SELinux config.

-Brooke