Old 05-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Roger Heflin

Default File with unreadable (?) permissions, mucks up rsync

reikred@gmail.com wrote:
I have a file in /home/<user>/.emacs.d/auto-save-list which has
unreadable (?) permissions,

and also cannot be deleted, at least not by conventional means

-????????? ? ? ? ? ? .saves-2879-homepc.localdomain~

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this file? It is mucking up my rsync
jobs, rsync

reports that the file has disappeared and that there is an I/O error.

Generally something with permissions/size/date like that means that the
directory entry is totally screwed up, and often that means that rm won't work.

Even fsck may not be able to get rid of it.

You may be able to move it someplace that rsync does not look (on the same
partition), and that may be your only option if it does let you move it.

Roger