Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Neal Becker

Default Yeah, I have desktop effects:

I have desktop effects now with kde/nvidia with the new nvidia driver.

Now, 2 questions:

1. Should I choose compositing with opengl or xrender?

2. Fonts are significantly larger with the nvidia driver than with the open
nvidia version. I wonder why?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 AM
kwhiskerz

I hope someone in the know answers your question. I would like to add some, on
topic:

Having chosen OpenGL, should one choose:

1. Texture from Pixmap, Shared Memory or Fallback?
2. Nearest, Bilinear or Trilinear?
3. Direct Rendering?
4. VSync?

So, as to my experiences regarding your question...

I use Intel graphics. In Fedora 9 alpha, it was not possible to use OpenGL,
only XRender, which supports less effects and is slower, I thought. Since
Fedora 9 beta and the actual Fedora 9 release, it is possible to use OpenGL,
which I now use without any apparent problem. I have set options: Texture
from Pixmap, Bilinear, Direct Rendering and VSync, but haven't a clue which
are best, but I assumed that turning them all on would give me the fullest
user experience. It would be nice to know which is the best choice. I am very
pleased with the effects and performance.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 20:36 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> 2. Fonts are significantly larger with the nvidia driver than with the
> open nvidia version. I wonder why?

Screen size or DPI settings, most likely.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Rex Dieter

Neal Becker wrote:

> I have desktop effects now with kde/nvidia with the new nvidia driver.
>
> Now, 2 questions:
>
> 1. Should I choose compositing with opengl or xrender?

opengl is preferable, but ymmv. Try both, and stick with whichever works
best for you.

> 2. Fonts are significantly larger with the nvidia driver than with the
> open nvidia version. I wonder why?

As Tim highlighted, a difference in monitor/dpi detection most likely.

-- Rex

Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Rex Dieter

kwhiskerz wrote:

> I hope someone in the know answers your question. I would like to add
> some, on topic:
>
> Having chosen OpenGL, should one choose:
>
> 1. Texture from Pixmap, Shared Memory or Fallback?
> 2. Nearest, Bilinear or Trilinear?
> 3. Direct Rendering?
> 4. VSync?

IMHO, if you don't know what these mean, what they do, or their impact,
stick with the defaults.

-- Rex

Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM
kwhiskerz

Rex Dieter wrote:

IMHO, if you don't know what these mean, what they do, or their impact,
stick with the defaults.

Sheesh! You mean I have to turn them all off again? :-)

Old 05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Rex Dieter

kwhiskerz wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> IMHO, if you don't know what these mean, what they do, or their impact,
> stick with the defaults.
>
> Sheesh! You mean I have to turn them all off again? :-)

heh, you don't *have* to do anything. Tinker to your heart's content, it's
your box afterall. Of course, if anything breaks, you get to keep the
pieces.

-- Rex

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

kwhiskerz wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
> IMHO, if you don't know what these mean, what they do, or their impact,
> stick with the defaults.
>
> Sheesh! You mean I have to turn them all off again? :-)

heh, you don't *have* to do anything. *Tinker to your heart's content, it's
your box afterall. *Of course, if anything breaks, you get to keep the
pieces. *

-- Rex

What does IMHO mean?* I've got desktop effects and it is the coolest thing next to slice bread... or better yet, English Muffins.
--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.." -Rev1:4

Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 13:57 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> What does IMHO mean? I've got desktop effects and it is the coolest
> thing next to slice bread... or better yet, English Muffins.

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

You need to learn your net jargon :-) Other common acronyms on mailing
lists (and increasingly elsewhere as well):

BTW = By The Way
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

For an exhaustive treatise on this stuff, see http://catb.org/jargon/

poc

Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 PM
das

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:15:02 -0430
"Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> You need to learn your net jargon :-) Other common acronyms on mailing
> lists (and increasingly elsewhere as well):

Is it Mailing list --> and increasingly elsewhere, or, Elsewhere -->
Mailing lists?

Is it a mailing list or Short-Message-Servicing-list?

If in that much hurry to write, why write at all? If it is typing speed:
there always is good old gtypist.

--
das
ddts.randomink.org