Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Antonio Olivares

Default OT: What is fusebulk filesystem? ntpass fails to reset windows password :(

Dear all,
A Lenovo Laptop running Windows Vista locked out the*teacher who was issued the computer at school.* The teacher forgot the password.* I have successfully used the SystemRescue CD*http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page *with the utitlity ntpass many times.* This time, it failed.* I also tried the cd from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/*which is the same.* The laptop locked the teacher out and he could not login.* I told them it was a snap and boy was I wrong.* The cd locates the users and apparently all looks good and when we reboot we try with a blank password and we cannot log on.* Trying other livecd's also gets us nowhere.* There apparently is some garbage on the C:Windowssystemsystem32 directory that prevents the ntpasswd from doing its job.* When viewing the filesystem which should be NTFS, the programs accessing the drive report that the fs is fusebulk.* I have not heard about fusebulk filesystem.*
There has to be some sort of encryption on the drive to prevent the password blank from working.*
Does anyone have any other tools that can reset the password in such a case?
Is the only solution to reformat and reinstall?
All Comments/Suggestions welcome.*
TIA,
Antonio

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM
"Richard Shaw"

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> A Lenovo Laptop running Windows Vista locked out the teacher who was issued the computer at school. The teacher forgot the password. I have successfully used the SystemRescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page with the utitlity ntpass many times. This time, it failed. I also tried the cd from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ which is the same. The laptop locked the teacher out and he could not login. I told them it was a snap and boy was I wrong. The cd locates the users and apparently all looks good and when we reboot we try with a blank password and we cannot log on. Trying other livecd's also gets us nowhere. There apparently is some garbage on the C:Windowssystemsystem32 directory that prevents the ntpasswd from doing its job. When viewing the filesystem which should be NTFS, the programs accessing the drive report that the fs is fusebulk. I have not heard about fusebulk filesystem.
> There has to be some sort of encryption on the drive to prevent the password blank from working.
> Does anyone have any other tools that can reset the password in such a case?
> Is the only solution to reformat and reinstall?
> All Comments/Suggestions welcome.
> TIA,
> Antonio

Late reply to this but I have a loosely related issue so I'll tell you
what I know.

Fuse is not a file system so much as a method/api that allows you to
treat other objects as a filesystem (including a real filesystem). Do
a google search and you'll see what I'm talking about. It allows you
to treat many file objects as file systems.

In your case it looks like one of the rescue disks is using FUSE to
mount the NTFS system with ntfs-3g driver instead of the older ntfs
driver, which from what I've read and experienced, is preferable.

Richard

Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Antonio Olivares

> > A Lenovo Laptop running Windows Vista locked out
> the teacher who was
> > issued the computer at school. The teacher forgot
> the password. I have
> > successfully used the SystemRescue
> CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
> > with the utitlity ntpass many times. This time, it
> failed. I also tried
> > the cd from
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ which is the
> same.
> > The laptop locked the teacher out and he could not
> login. I told them it
> > was a snap and boy was I wrong. The cd locates the
> users and apparently
> > all looks good and when we reboot we try with a blank
> password and we
> > cannot log on. Trying other livecd's also gets
> us nowhere. There
> > apparently is some garbage on the
> C:Windowssystemsystem32 directory
> > that prevents the ntpasswd from doing its job. When
> viewing the
> > filesystem which should be NTFS, the programs
> accessing the drive report
> > that the fs is fusebulk. I have not heard about
> fusebulk filesystem.
> > There has to be some sort of encryption on the drive
> to prevent the
> > password blank from working.
> > Does anyone have any other tools that can reset the
> password in such a
> > case?
> > Is the only solution to reformat and reinstall?
> >

> NTFS from VISTA has changes that have not been caught up to
> by the non M$
> utilities. The school doesn't have a system
> administrator that has the
> master password?
> --

Thank you for your concerns and also to another user that explained the fuse filesystem.

The computer has been reformatted and the software reinstalled. It somehow is protected* (when you try to blank or change the password, it locks you out), this is the kind of sh*t that we do not like. But we popped in a restore cd that came with the laptop and started it from scratch. If we mess around with any livecd with password changer/reseters, the computer will not boot even with the correct password that was issued. This is weird and is the second computer of many that I was not able to blank the password so as to gain back control.

Also happened in another case a Dell machine running XP and the teacher let a student use the computer to do a research paper, the student changed the password and locked everyone out of it. I tried to use the SystemRescueCD, trinity Rescue CD, and I could not finish the job. Several modules could not be loaded and the machine would return a kernel panic. Another friend of mine had a Windows LiveCD built with BartPE and he got in and changed the password back This allowed the teacher to get back the control of the computer.

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,

Antonio

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 AM
"Ken Murray"

In these situations I've had pretty good luck with Ophcrack
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

I haven't come across a computer yet, XP or Vista, that I couldn't get
into with the live cd.

--
Ken

echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlb xq |dc

Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 AM
Antonio Olivares

> In these situations I've had pretty good luck with
> Ophcrack
> http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
>
> I haven't come across a computer yet, XP or Vista, that
> I couldn't get
> into with the live cd.
>

> --
> Ken

Thank you Ken, for sharing that. I had not heard of ophcrack before. When the situation arises, I'll remember to give it a try

Regards,

Antonio