-   -   lastest kernel support fedora 9 DVD (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/97102-lastest-kernel-support-fedora-9-dvd.html)

Steve Searle 05-28-2008 09:21 PM

lastest kernel support fedora 9 DVD

Around 10:14pm on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 (UK time), Randy Easley scrawled:

> Where can I download the latest kernel support dvd for Fedora 9?
> I want to be able to install in graphical mode.
>
> Also, I'm head to head with Fedora vs Centos
> Which is supported better?
> Which version will not break code and libraries, etc.
> Which updates better?

If you want stability run Centos, if you want latest versions (bleeding
edge?) run Fedora. Fedora will require frequent re-installation or
upgrade to a newer version.

I run Centos on my servers and Fedora on my work stations.

In my experience both are well supported (but what do you mean by
support - paid for support, support on these sort of mailing lists, or
updates by package maintainers?)

I haven't had particular problems with either "breakign code and
libraries".

Both update fine.

Steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

22:16:15 up 6 days, 2:48, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

Ralf Corsepius 05-29-2008 06:47 AM

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:14 -0500, Randy Easley wrote:
> Where can I download the latest kernel support dvd for Fedora 9?
> I want to be able to install in graphical mode.
>
> Also, I'm head to head with Fedora vs Centos
You are comparing apples and oranges. Both are addressing different
audiences and aren't really comparable.

> Any comment are very welcome.
The real differences are
* CentOS (and its mother RHEL) is an ultra-conservative distro, aiming
at long term support. I.e. comes with SW tending to become outdated
during it's life-time and therefore will lack features more current
distros provide.
* Fedora is close to the "bleeding edge" (sometimes beyond) and is
short-lived.

Both distros have pros and cons. Which to choose depends upon your
needs.

Very oversimplified, CentOS is better suited when wanting to "install
once and forget about it for a long time" and/or when not needing
"bleeding edge features" (typically servers).
Fedora is better suited for those people needing "modern features"
and/or having the resources/skills to cope Fedora's fast pace.

My choice is Fedora.

Ralf