Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Beartooth

Default X doesn't start : DEFEAT, with honor

On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:53:52 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
[....]
>> Given success (I hope, I hope), I'm ready to try the biggest
>> hammer of all : find a way to wipe one hard drive without taking the
>> other, too.

Caffeine insufficiency; when I came to it, of course, I simply
told F8's anaconda to take all of sda and let sdb alone. I had to restore
the grub.conf that works, but I have a copy.

I'll test that directly. First, even though I used a February
respin, there are of course a scad and a half of updates.

> Linux is not just wonderful; it's downright amazing. On this
> machine (my #2) it let me get into the gleanings folder, while #1 was
> (is!) still downloading, and delete stuff! (Fwiw, having succeeded with
> ssh into #1, I did the scp back into #2 from there -- if that matters.)
> What's more, I can delete stuff (particularly whole ISOs) faster than
> the other machine can pour them in.
>
> This is looking propitious, and then some.
>
> I may yet get F8 back onto that machine -- *with* the files I
> don't want to lose ...

Done. It's updating now, with Alpine and Opera already installed;
meanwhile, I'm in process of scp'ing the gleanings back onto it.

Many thanks for all the help here! I may try the upgrade again
soon; or I may wait for the first F9 respin, in hope of the anaconda bug
(which seems to've been involved somehow) getting stomped in the
meanwhile.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0