Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Knute Johnson

Default F9 and NetworkManager?

I installed F9 on an old computer that only has 256M of RAM. I did a
text mode install and it worked fine. One interesting thing is that if
you do a text mode install, gdm is apparently not installed. Anyway,
when I start up X, the NetworkManager is running but it doesn't enable
my wired connection. I've played around with the menus and put in the
MAC address but that had no effect. I'm sure I'm missing something
simple but I need a hint.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Mike Chambers

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:07 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I installed F9 on an old computer that only has 256M of RAM. I did a
> text mode install and it worked fine. One interesting thing is that if
> you do a text mode install, gdm is apparently not installed. Anyway,
> when I start up X, the NetworkManager is running but it doesn't enable
> my wired connection. I've played around with the menus and put in the
> MAC address but that had no effect. I'm sure I'm missing something
> simple but I need a hint.

Try running system-config-network and configure your connection there
initially, and save. Just don't start the network service. Once it's
saved (you may need to reboot) you can try restarting/redoing NM to see
if it sees it then. You also need to check the "let NM control it" box
as well.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Knute Johnson

Mike Chambers wrote:

I installed F9 on an old computer that only has 256M of RAM. I did a
text mode install and it worked fine. One interesting thing is that if
you do a text mode install, gdm is apparently not installed. Anyway,
when I start up X, the NetworkManager is running but it doesn't enable
my wired connection. I've played around with the menus and put in the
MAC address but that had no effect. I'm sure I'm missing something
simple but I need a hint.

Try running system-config-network and configure your connection there
initially, and save. Just don't start the network service. Once it's
saved (you may need to reboot) you can try restarting/redoing NM to see
if it sees it then. You also need to check the "let NM control it" box
as well.

I don't know why but after doing system-config-network it works fine. I
didn't change anything but it works.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 AM
"Marc Ferguson"

That's great.* I wish I had your luck.* I tried system-config-network, but my problem still exists.* My wireless just won't connect to any wireless network.

[...]

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.." -Rev1:4

Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Knute Johnson

Marc Ferguson wrote:
[...]

What do you see in /var/log/messages when you plug your wireless card in?

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com