-   -   Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/96880-fedora-9-network-manager-wireless-not-connecting.html)

"Marc Ferguson" 05-28-2008 02:26 PM

Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone is having problems getting their wireless connection to actually connect in Fedora 9 using Network Manager?

I just installed Fedora 9 on my laptop (Thinkpad R40).* I did not do the 76 updates yet, but out-of-the-box, my wireless won't connect.* The LAN connects just fine, but not wireless.* It's great that network manager does an auto broadcast, now.* I put in my WEP information, which I triple-checked, but it says the connection has disconnected.* I even tried it on WEPless access points and the same thing happens.

Skill-set:* I am a linux noob so I do not fully understand all the terms or concepts yet.* I am a Windows power-user, but as you all know that doesn't mean squat with a REAL operating system.* Thanks for your help.

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.." -Rev1:4

"max bianco" 05-28-2008 08:49 PM

2008/5/28 Olusola Fadero <olusola.fadero@gmail.com>:
> What wireless card do you have in your laptop?
>
> Olusola

He says he is a total noob, maybe *some* hand holding is in order (
just a kick start)
You are responsible for any disaster that may occur if you follow my
advice, having said that I have done this myself and not suffered any
ill effects, i am just saying we are responsible for our own systems ,
so ...

Open a terminal window. type: su -
enter the root password when prompted.
Now you are root ( exercise caution when logged in as root, commands
run as root can have serious repercussions)
Run the command : lspci -v You will get a bunch of hardware
information. The only thing that concerns you at the moment is
obviously the wireless network card, it should be fairly obvious which
one is the wireless card. Something like this might appear in your
output :

00:0b.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown 802.11g
mini-PCI Adapter
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22
Memory at dfff8000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Kernel driver in use: rt2500pci
Kernel modules: rt2500pci

Copy this info to a text file on the desktop or try running this in a
terminal instead : lspci -v > /home/<insert your_username_
here>/Desktop/lspci.txt (note: everything between the <> including the
<> symbols is to be replaced by your username)

That last command will run lspci and redirect its output to a textfile
on your desktop named lspci.txt. Remember to use your username in the
above command. Spelling counts, spaces count(usually creates errors if
they are unnecessary) ,capitalization counts. It must be exact or you
will get errors. When done type : exit or just close the terminal.

The only thing interesting to this list at this point is the info
related to your wireless card. Post this info here please. You should
also google to see if your card is supported or maybe the driver is in
limbo or something.

"Marc Ferguson" 05-28-2008 10:25 PM

Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

I have, based on my system-config-network, an Intersil Corporation
Pri. To be honest - I'm not too clear what I have.

"Marc Ferguson" 05-29-2008 01:09 AM

Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Hi,

I tried the "lspci" command, but it says "command not found".* I'm logged in as root, in the terminal.* Also; ifconfig, iwconfig are not found either?* How do I get these back.

"Mike Burger" 05-29-2008 01:12 AM

Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

> Hi,
>
> I tried the "lspci" command, but it says "command not found". I'm logged
> in
> as root, in the terminal. Also; ifconfig, iwconfig are not found either?
> How do I get these back.

Run "locate lspci", "locate ifconfig" and "locate iwconfig".

Take the path that you're presented, and add it to the PATH variable in
the root user's .bash_profile.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

"Marc Ferguson" 05-29-2008 01:31 AM

Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Hi,

The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

As for the locate command I got this error:

locate: can not open '/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db' : No such file or directory

max 05-29-2008 02:55 AM

Marc Ferguson wrote:

Hi,

The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

As for the locate command I got this error:

locate: can not open '/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db' : No such file or
directory

As root run : echo $PATH

--
On the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

On the ninth day he farted, and it smelled like sulphur.

"Patrick O'Callaghan" 05-29-2008 03:30 AM

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:31 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

I should hope so. $PATH is where the Shell looks for commands to
execute. It's a list of directories to look in.

lspci and friends are in /sbin (or sometimes in /usr/sbin). /sbin/lspci
etc. will run them. Or do this in .bash_profile:

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH

poc

Matthew Saltzman 05-29-2008 09:15 AM

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:31 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:
> >
> > PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
>
> I should hope so. $PATH is where the Shell looks for commands to
> execute. It's a list of directories to look in.
>
> lspci and friends are in /sbin (or sometimes in /usr/sbin). /sbin/lspci
> etc. will run them. Or do this in .bash_profile:
>
> PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH

Better is

PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin

There are some programs with the same name in both /bin and /sbin
and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin that behave differently. If you are a
regular user, you want the /bin and /usr/bin ones, not the /sbin
and /usr/sbim ones.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences