Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

Default Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:20 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:

> Excellent, thanks for that info. *Here is the result of lspci:

> 02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan

> chipset

> (rev 01)

> * * Subsystem: Actiontec Electronics Inc Unknown device 2406

> * * Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11

> * * Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]

> * * Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

> * * Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci

> * * Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci

> What can I learn from this info? *Based on all the threads I'm

> guessing my

> wireless card isn't completely compatible with Fedora 9. *The funny

> thing is

> everything works except for making the actual connection to a wireless

> network though.

You have a Wavelan chipset, which should work using the Orinoco driver

(already detected and loaded by the kernel).

Now try 'iwlist scan' (again, as root). If the card works physically you

should see a list of nearby access points. That means there is a strong

chance of being able to get it to work, you just have to configure it

correctly :-)

Also, make sure the radio is physically turned on! On some laptops (e.g.

Toshibas) there's a small switch to turn it on and off.

poc

I did the "iwlist scan" and I noticed it did scans for: lo, eth1, wifi0, eth0, irda0, and pan0.* My wireless device, according to Network Configuration is eth0.* I find that weird; in prior distros wireless devices where labeled wlan0, wlan1, etc.

The scan did pick up something for wifi0 and eth0.* Does that mean that they are conflicting in some way?* Overall; it looks like NetworkManager isn't playing nice with my wireless card and I'll have to do manual scans and configuring in order to get it to work?

--
Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.." -Rev1:4

Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
"Robert Cahn"

I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7.* My wireless is described by:

00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)
*** Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter

*** Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
*** Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
*** Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
*** Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
*** Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci

Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.

The I'm using plain old WEP on the access point.* When I attempt to connect the first NM pip turns green immediately but the second pip never does.* Eventually I'm asked for the WEP key.* Entering it again does no good.* I've used system-config-network to statically enter the WEP key and specify the SSID.* Nothing works.* I've never been able to connect under F9.*

I notice that I'm never asked to unlock the keyring as I was under F5 and F7.* Are there any other suggestions as to what I can try?

/Bob Cahn

Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:56 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> The scan did pick up something for wifi0 and eth0. Does that mean
> that they are conflicting in some way?

I don't think so. AFAIK the wifi0 is effectively a pseudo-interface on
top of eth0. Something to do with how the kernel drivers are
implemented, but don't take my word for it.

Anyone who knows more about this is welcome to jump in at this point :-)

poc

Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Timothy Murphy

Marc Ferguson wrote:

> I did the "iwlist scan" and I noticed it did scans for: lo, eth1, wifi0,
> eth0, irda0, and pan0. My wireless device, according to Network
> Configuration is eth0. I find that weird; in prior distros wireless
> devices where labeled wlan0, wlan1, etc.
>
> The scan did pick up something for wifi0 and eth0.

What is "something"?
Did it pick up the AP you are hoping to use?
If so, it seems to me that NM _is_ working.
Do you know what kind of encryption the AP is using?
Did you try clicking on the NM applet in the panel?

IMHO, NM is very, very bad at telling you
where the connection is breaking down
if it does not connect cleanly.

The NM developers suffer from the delusion
that NM always works.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Timothy Murphy

Robert Cahn wrote:

> Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.
>
> The I'm using plain old WEP on the access point. When I attempt to
> connect the first NM pip turns green immediately but the second pip never
> does.
> Eventually I'm asked for the WEP key. Entering it again does no good.
> I've used system-config-network to statically enter the WEP key and
> specify the
> SSID. Nothing works. I've never been able to connect under F9.
>
> I notice that I'm never asked to unlock the keyring as I was under F5 and
> F7. Are there any other suggestions as to what I can try?

I suppose if desperate you could stop NM,
and go back to giving the settings
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?

Actually, I have had the opposite experience.
After endless problems with NM in Fedora-7 and Fedora-8,
it has recently (I assume because of an NM update)
started working faultlessly in F-8 and F-9.

It is a major drawback in NM, in my opinion,
that it is very hard to diagnose what is wrong
if it is not working.
As far as I can see, the only information available
is that in /var/log/messages ;
"grep NetworkManager /var/log/messages" has occasionally
given me something helpful,
though usually I find the entries unintelligible, eg
"(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 1 -> 2".

Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> The NM developers suffer from the delusion
> that NM always works.

Of course it always works. Says so right here in the man page :-)

poc

Old 06-04-2008, 12:18 AM
"Marc Ferguson"

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 13:46 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> The NM developers suffer from the delusion

> that NM always works.

Of course it always works. Says so right here in the man page :-)

poc

Latest update on mine is that it still doesn't work.* I did post in the Fedora forums and someone posted this link.

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware

It looks like there are two drivers possibly conflicting.* My only
problem is I don't know how to verify which drivers are being used and
how to disable or uninstall a driver.* Can you point me in the right
direction?* Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
"Paul Johnson"

2008/5/29 Robert Cahn <robertscahn@gmail.com>:
> I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7. My
> wireless is described by:
>
> 00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
> (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
> Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
> Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci
>
> Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.

Turn off the service network
Turn on the service NetworkManager

run the applet nm-applet to control your wireless logins.

Do not try to make system-config-network work together with NM.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 06-08-2008, 01:18 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/5/29 Robert Cahn <robertscahn@gmail.com>:

> I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7. *My

> wireless is described by:

> 00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset

> (rev 01)

> * * Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter

> * * Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18

> * * Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]

> * * Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

> * * Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci

> * * Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci

> Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.

Turn off the service network

Turn on the service NetworkManager

run the applet nm-applet to control your wireless logins.

Do not try to make system-config-network work together with NM.

pj

--

Paul E. Johnson

Professor, Political Science

1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504

University of Kansas

Hi Paul,

Let me see if I understand.* I should go into the service configuration and disable "network" and enable "network manager" and I should be OK?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
"Paul Johnson"

2008/6/8 Marc Ferguson <marcferguson@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2008/5/29 Robert Cahn <robertscahn@gmail.com>:
>> > I have updated my desktop using the 64-bit desktop of F9 from F7. My
>> > wireless is described by:
>> >
>> > 00:0a.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
>> > chipset
>> > (rev 01)
>> > Subsystem: Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter
>> > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
>> > Memory at e9005000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
>> > Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>> > Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
>> > Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci
>> >
>> > Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.
>> >

>> Turn off the service network
>> Turn on the service NetworkManager
>>
>> run the applet nm-applet to control your wireless logins.
>>
>> Do not try to make system-config-network work together with NM.
>>
>> pj
>>

>> --
>> Paul E. Johnson
>> Professor, Political Science
>> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
>> University of Kansas
>>
>> --
>

> Hi Paul,
>
> Let me see if I understand. I should go into the service configuration and
> disable "network" and enable "network manager" and I should be OK?
> --
> Marc F.

Yes.

inside your desktop, run the program nm-applet and use it to adjust
your settings.

Works for all except static IP for me. For that, I have to use
nm-applet to turn off all networking, then use system-config-network
for static IP config. Some people report that newest nm-applet can
manage this, but for me it is hit/miss.