Old 05-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Tim

Default Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:09 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> I tried the "lspci" command, but it says "command not found". I'm
> logged in as root, in the terminal. Also; ifconfig, iwconfig are not
> found either? How do I get these back.

How did you log in? I'm guessing you used "su" rather than "su -".

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 05:15 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 23:00 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:31 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:
> > >
> > > PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
> >
> > I should hope so. $PATH is where the Shell looks for commands to
> > execute. It's a list of directories to look in.
> >
> > lspci and friends are in /sbin (or sometimes in /usr/sbin). /sbin/lspci
> > etc. will run them. Or do this in .bash_profile:
> >
> > PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
>
> Better is
>
> PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
>
> There are some programs with the same name in both /bin and /sbin
> and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin that behave differently. If you are a
> regular user, you want the /bin and /usr/bin ones, not the /sbin
> and /usr/sbim ones.

Yes, but in the context of the question I'm assuming he's root, when you
want it the other way round.

poc

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

Yes I did log in using "su", what's the difference with the - option?
Well I did get the lspci command to work. I exported it to a text
file. As soon as I get to work I'll post the result. Thanks for the
detailed help. VI is a very cool application, but hard to figure out
at first. I spent a couple minutes in "man" and "vim" :help.

On 5/29/08, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 21:09 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
>> I tried the "lspci" command, but it says "command not found". I'm
>> logged in as root, in the terminal. Also; ifconfig, iwconfig are not
>> found either? How do I get these back.
>
> How did you log in? I'm guessing you used "su" rather than "su -".
>
> --
> [tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to
come.." -Rev1:4

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Hi,
>
> The PATH variable seems to already have a value in it:
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Add the actual path after what's there, i.e.

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/search/path/1:/search/path/2

> As for the locate command I got this error:
>
> locate: can not open '/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db' : No such file or
> directory

As root, run "updatedb" which will then generate the mlocate.db.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Yes I did log in using "su", what's the difference with the - option?
> Well I did get the lspci command to work. I exported it to a text
> file. As soon as I get to work I'll post the result. Thanks for the
> detailed help. VI is a very cool application, but hard to figure out
> at first. I spent a couple minutes in "man" and "vim" :help.

A simple "su" gives you root privileges with *your* shell environment,
while "su -" gives you the full root shell, as if you had logged in at the
console as root.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mike Burger <mburger@bubbanfriends.org> wrote:

> Yes I did log in using "su", what's the difference with the - option?

> Well I did get the lspci command to work. I exported it to a text

> file. As soon as I get to work I'll post the result. Thanks for the

> detailed help. VI is a very cool application, but hard to figure out

> at first. I spent a couple minutes in "man" and "vim" :help.

A simple "su" gives you root privileges with *your* shell environment,

while "su -" gives you the full root shell, as if you had logged in at the

console as root.

--

Mike Burger

http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Excellent, thanks for that info.* Here is the result of lspci:

02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)

*** Subsystem: Actiontec Electronics Inc Unknown device 2406

*** Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11

*** Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]

*** Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

*** Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci

*** Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci

What can I learn from this info?* Based on all the threads I'm guessing my wireless card isn't completely compatible with Fedora 9.* The funny thing is everything works except for making the actual connection to a wireless network though.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 08:18 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 05:15 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > > I should hope so. $PATH is where the Shell looks for commands to
> > > execute. It's a list of directories to look in.
> > >
> > > lspci and friends are in /sbin (or sometimes in /usr/sbin). /sbin/lspci
> > > etc. will run them. Or do this in .bash_profile:
> > >
> > > PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
> >
> > Better is
> >
> > PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> >
> > There are some programs with the same name in both /bin and /sbin
> > and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin that behave differently. If you are a
> > regular user, you want the /bin and /usr/bin ones, not the /sbin
> > and /usr/sbim ones.
>
> Yes, but in the context of the question I'm assuming he's root, when you
> want it the other way round.

Fair enough, but if he really is *logged in* as root (in a login shell),
these should be in his path already. That's set in /etc/profile.

If he su'd to root without the - (--login) option that would explain his
problem.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:22 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 08:18 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > Better is
> > >
> > > PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> > >
> > > There are some programs with the same name in both /bin and /sbin
> > > and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin that behave differently. If you are a
> > > regular user, you want the /bin and /usr/bin ones, not the /sbin
> > > and /usr/sbim ones.
> >
> > Yes, but in the context of the question I'm assuming he's root, when you
> > want it the other way round.
>
> Fair enough, but if he really is *logged in* as root (in a login shell),
> these should be in his path already. That's set in /etc/profile.
>
> If he su'd to root without the - (--login) option that would explain his
> problem.

Correct.

poc

Old 05-29-2008, 05:25 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 12:22 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 08:18 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > Better is
> > >
> > > * * * * PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin
> > >
> > > There are some programs with the same name in both /bin and /sbin

> > > and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin that behave differently. *If you are a
> > > regular user, you want the /bin and /usr/bin ones, not the /sbin
> > > and /usr/sbim ones.
> >
> > Yes, but in the context of the question I'm assuming he's root, when you

> > want it the other way round.
>
> Fair enough, but if he really is *logged in* as root (in a login shell),
> these should be in his path already. *That's set in /etc/profile.
>
> If he su'd to root without the - (--login) option that would explain his

> problem.

Correct.

poc

Yes I did log into root without the hyphen.* Once I logged in using:
*
su -
*
I am able to use ifconfig, iwconfig, lspci, etc.* I did post the results of lspci, but I'm unclear what to do with the information in it.* It doesn't look like an error occurred, but then again, I don't know what I'm looking at.* Thanks.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:20 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> Excellent, thanks for that info. Here is the result of lspci:
>
> 02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
> chipset
> (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Actiontec Electronics Inc Unknown device 2406
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> Kernel driver in use: hostap_pci
> Kernel modules: orinoco_pci, hostap_pci
>
> What can I learn from this info? Based on all the threads I'm
> guessing my
> wireless card isn't completely compatible with Fedora 9. The funny
> thing is
> everything works except for making the actual connection to a wireless
> network though.

You have a Wavelan chipset, which should work using the Orinoco driver
(already detected and loaded by the kernel).

Now try 'iwlist scan' (again, as root). If the card works physically you
should see a list of nearby access points. That means there is a strong
chance of being able to get it to work, you just have to configure it
correctly :-)

Also, make sure the radio is physically turned on! On some laptops (e.g.
Toshibas) there's a small switch to turn it on and off.

poc