Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Joachim Backes

Default Dual boot f8 and f9: bad experiences

Having an F8 installation on my box with some free partition. On this free partition I installed
F9. So far so good: booting F9 was after install ok. Then I rebooted into the old F8 and ma a new
/boot/grub/menu.lst including F9.

But re-writing the bootloader by grub-install failed: problems to read /boot/grub/stage1.
(the correspondent log in /tmp: "Error 2: BAd file or directory type")

Booting after this with grub was impossible.

Checking the inode size of the F8 partition showed me that the inode size was now 256.

It seems that the F9 installer had changed the inode size of the F8 partition to 256.

I had to rebuild the F8 partition by "mkfs.ext3 -I 128 ...", copy and re-copy... After this,
grub-install was running properly in F8.

University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany

Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 28 May 2008 13:32:00 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:

> Having an F8 installation on my box with some free partition. On this free partition I installed
> F9. So far so good: booting F9 was after install ok. Then I rebooted into the old F8 and ma a new
> /boot/grub/menu.lst including F9.
>
> But re-writing the bootloader by grub-install failed: problems to read /boot/grub/stage1.
> (the correspondent log in /tmp: "Error 2: BAd file or directory type")
>
> Booting after this with grub was impossible.
>
> Checking the inode size of the F8 partition showed me that the inode size was now 256.
>
> It seems that the F9 installer had changed the inode size of the F8 partition to 256.
>
> I had to rebuild the F8 partition by "mkfs.ext3 -I 128 ...", copy and re-copy... After this,
> grub-install was running properly in F8.

To me it doesn't become clear how you set up your boot loader.
What did your F9 installation mess with the F8 partition at all?
Anaconda ignores file-systems that are not used/included during
installation.

And why did you want to re-write the bootloader? GRUB is capable of
reading updated grub.conf files directly from the ext3fs.

Multi-booting does work just fine. I have F8's GRUB installed into
the MBR and F9's GRUB installed into its root partition. Then I simply
chainload F9 from grub.conf. No need to share a common /boot
directory between F8 and F9. No need to rewrite any boot loader
from within the other OS. Both installations maintain an own GRUB
and an own grub.conf.

This is /boot/grub/grub.conf on /dev/sda1 with F8 on /dev/sda{2,3,5,6,7}
and Rawhide's GRUB in /dev/sda8:

title Fedora (2.6.23.15-137.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-137.fc8 ro root=LABEL=f8_root quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.23.15-137.fc8.img
title Fedora Development
lock
root (hd0,7)
chainloader +1

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.65 1.35 1.21