Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Manish Kathuria

Default Fedora 9 - Slow GUI Response

I upgrade my existing Fedora 8 x86_64 installation to Fedora 9 using yum
successfully but I am facing some problems related to the GUI. I use
GNOME as the desktop environment and ever since I have upgraded to
Fedora 9, the response time of the GUI has slowed. There is an increased
delay when the windows are refreshed and when I change from one
workspace to another one. The applications most frequently used by me
include evolution, firefox, open office and the gnome terminal besides a
few others and the delay is noticeable in case of all of them.

I am using a Core 2 Duo based Dell Vostro laptop with a 15.4" LCD and an
Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller and
the display resolution is set at 1280 x 800 at 24 bits. The display
adapter has been configured to use the "intel" driver.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or any such issue ? Any
comments and suggestions ?

Thanks,

Manish

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Jeffrey Ross

Manish Kathuria wrote:

[...]

Best I can tell you is it seems to be a problem with the Intel video
driver, I have the same problem on my desktop machine with an Intel
driver ( mine is an Intel 82G965).

glxgears gets me roughly 1050 fps, pretty pitiful. Unfortunately I
don't have a solution for you.

Jeff

Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 AM
"Amadeus W.M."

On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:19:10 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

> Manish Kathuria wrote:
>> I upgrade my existing Fedora 8 x86_64 installation to Fedora 9 using
>> yum successfully but I am facing some problems related to the GUI. I
>> use GNOME as the desktop environment and ever since I have upgraded to
>> Fedora 9, the response time of the GUI has slowed. There is an
>> increased delay when the windows are refreshed and when I change from
>> one workspace to another one. The applications most frequently used by
>> me include evolution, firefox, open office and the gnome terminal
>> besides a few others and the delay is noticeable in case of all of
>> them.
>>
>> I am using a Core 2 Duo based Dell Vostro laptop with a 15.4" LCD and
>> an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
>> and the display resolution is set at 1280 x 800 at 24 bits. The display
>> adapter has been configured to use the "intel" driver.
>>
>> Has anyone experienced a similar problem or any such issue ? Any
>> comments and suggestions ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manish
>>

> Best I can tell you is it seems to be a problem with the Intel video
> driver, I have the same problem on my desktop machine with an Intel
> driver ( mine is an Intel 82G965).
>
> glxgears gets me roughly 1050 fps, pretty pitiful. Unfortunately I
> don't have a solution for you.
>
> Jeff

Same here, onboard Intel 82865G, using the intel driver (as opposed to
i815 that it used before F9). Slow but usable under compiz. Ok with
metacity (no games though).

glxgears
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager. Falling back to classic.
6199 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1239.664 FPS
2543 frames in 5.0 seconds = 508.400 FPS
2306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.152 FPS
2313 frames in 5.0 seconds = 462.475 FPS
2309 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.644 FPS

Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 AM
Manish Kathuria

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 03:55 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:19:10 -0400, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>
> > Manish Kathuria wrote:
> >> I upgrade my existing Fedora 8 x86_64 installation to Fedora 9 using
> >> yum successfully but I am facing some problems related to the GUI. I
> >> use GNOME as the desktop environment and ever since I have upgraded to
> >> Fedora 9, the response time of the GUI has slowed. There is an
> >> increased delay when the windows are refreshed and when I change from
> >> one workspace to another one. The applications most frequently used by
> >> me include evolution, firefox, open office and the gnome terminal
> >> besides a few others and the delay is noticeable in case of all of
> >> them.
> >>
> >> I am using a Core 2 Duo based Dell Vostro laptop with a 15.4" LCD and
> >> an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller
> >> and the display resolution is set at 1280 x 800 at 24 bits. The display
> >> adapter has been configured to use the "intel" driver.
> >>
> >> Has anyone experienced a similar problem or any such issue ? Any
> >> comments and suggestions ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Manish
> >>

> > Best I can tell you is it seems to be a problem with the Intel video
> > driver, I have the same problem on my desktop machine with an Intel
> > driver ( mine is an Intel 82G965).
> >
> > glxgears gets me roughly 1050 fps, pretty pitiful. Unfortunately I
> > don't have a solution for you.
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Same here, onboard Intel 82865G, using the intel driver (as opposed to
> i815 that it used before F9). Slow but usable under compiz. Ok with
> metacity (no games though).
>
> glxgears
> Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager. Falling back to classic.
> 6199 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1239.664 FPS
> 2543 frames in 5.0 seconds = 508.400 FPS
> 2306 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.152 FPS
> 2313 frames in 5.0 seconds = 462.475 FPS
> 2309 frames in 5.0 seconds = 461.644 FPS

Are any fixes expected in the near future ? There were a number of
updates yesterday but nothing related to X.

--
Manish