Old 05-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Mohammed El-Afifi

Default verifying iso images downloaded by jigdo during installation

I'm downloading the DVD iso images for fedora 9 everything 64-bit using jigdo. This spin comes in 4 DVD's. I've finished downloading the first two DVD iso images completely. I then tried to install fedora 9 and booted my computer using the first DVD.
Before starting anakonda installer, I've the chance of verifying the installation media. When I was prompted for verification, I chose to verify the two DVD's I've till now. Actually, this was the sole purpose of running the installation DVD, to verify the images I downloaded so far.
Everything went all right with DVD 1, however DVD 2 was reported to have errors. I tried to verify DVD 2 using jigdo-file and the template file for DVD 2, and jigdo-file reported that the image is good.
The problem can't even be with my DVD burner, because I haven't burned the images yet. I used VMWare instead to boot a 64-bit virtual machine using the iso files.
So now DVD 2 is reported to have
errors by the verification step in the installation process, while jigdo-file reports no errors about the image.
Are all the installation media of the everything spin of fedora 9 64-bit guaranteed to pass the verification process during installation or just the first DVD(probably because it may match the official distribution fedora 9 64-bit DVD while the other DVD's aren't part of the official distribution)? Is there a method to verify the image externally(with a third tool for example) to settle if it's good or not?
Appreciating your help.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM
"TV Sivaraman"

You can verify using the sha1 text file provided at the download site:
sha1sum file.iso | grep -f sha1.txt.
You should be able to see sha1sum signature after this operation. If a blank line is retuned, means your download image is bad. The above operation takes a long time depending on your system's speed.

Sivaraman.

[...]

Dr. T. V. Sivaraman,

Lane No. 5, 46A, Ravindrapuri,
VARANASI - 221005. INDIA