Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 AM
"vincenzo romero"

Default Fedora 6 directly to Fedora 9 upgrade path?

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded directly from Fedora6 to
Fedora9 .. if that is even supported at all?

If yes, any pointers will be greatly appreciated and/or links to steps.

If not, I'm fine too and will just reinstall my workstation ... (my
files are in network anyway....)

thanks in advance.

-

--
best,

Vince

Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 AM
"David C. Chipman"

Hi Vincenzo,

Most upgrade guides for Fedora instruct you to upgrade
to the next version. So, if you wanted to upgrade to F9 from f6, then
you should upgrade to f7, then f8 first. Try to keep up,

-David Chipman

Old 05-28-2008, 03:22 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

vincenzo romero wrote:

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded directly from Fedora6 to
Fedora9 .. if that is even supported at all?

Yes, I have successfully upgraded from FC6 to F9. I even changed from
i686 to x86_64 in the process. Is it supported? Probably not, but many
of the possible upgrade paths are not "supported".

If yes, any pointers will be greatly appreciated and/or links to steps.

I don't think I documented my steps very well. I've been doing various
upgrades of RH stuff since 3.0.3 on various machines. Many of them were
done the "hard" way. My definition of the hard way:

READ THE RELEASE NOTES for every release between where you are, and
what you want to install.

Try updating from a new release DVD. When it fails:

Install the new redhat-release RPM (or in this case, the fedora-release
RPM).

Try: yum upgrade

When it fails, do a yum check-update

From the list of files, start a piecemeal upgrade process by updating
certain packages using yum. like the kernel, and glibc.
Sometimes its necessary to disable your 3rd party repositories until you
get fedora itself updated. Other times you can update as you go.

After they get installed, start doing "yum updates" of every installed
package. I usually do this a few at a time and deal with the
dependencies as necessary. This usually takes me a few days to get
through the entire alphabet of packages. It takes a few more weeks of
"find something that doesn't work right, fix it". I usually end up
asking myself: "Do I really need this package" quite a few times.
I usually end up reading the RELEASE-NOTES a few times during the
process to try and find out why certain RPMs are troublesome.

If not, I'm fine too and will just reinstall my workstation ... (my
files are in network anyway....)

Many people swear by the "install the new release over the old release"
method. Others backup /etc and /home, reformat, install anew, and
restore certain configurations from the backups.

thanks in advance.

Good luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
"vincenzo romero"

I just bit the bullet ....

1. upgrade was totally smooth - i did not do yum upgrade ... I just
burnt the ISO DVD; and then booted off CD and chose, UPGRADE current
system ...

2. it took a long time, but it went smooth ...

3. however, I further yum upgraded (AFTER the initial upgrade) ....
my kernel, and installed the source (developer/headers) and upgraded
.... somewhere AFTER upgrading to the latest kernel - I rebooted

4. boot FAILED and was stuck at GRUB in the upper left-hand side ...

5. booted off rescue cd and did a
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/sda recheck

6. I looked at the /boot/grub/ config files .. and for some reason
peaked on the device.map .. and saw that it was changed - the current
one looked like this:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

7. I changed it back to only this:

(hd0) /dev/sda

And I was able to boot back into FC9!

- V.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:57 AM
David Nguyen

Hi,
I did an update from FC6 to 9 exactly and my system wasn't booting anymore. So I search on a forum and find the solution. I have to rebuild the initd image.

How I did it?
- DVD update in text mod to update packages and kernel
- then restart with DVD in rescue mod: follow instruction with chroot and mkinitrd with the new image and then it works.

You can find those instructions in the Fedora Forum website, make a search with keywords : mkinitrd uname

Fc9 won't boot or anything else.

BR
David

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Bill Davidsen

vincenzo romero wrote:

I just bit the bullet ....

I was about to tell you that a full reinstall has some advantages, but
you probably don't care by now.

Just for completeness:
- you can have encrypted filesystems, great on a laptop, may be
useful elsewhere depending on your environment.
- You can use ext4 filesystems
- upgrade always leaves some crud behind, a jump this large is
likely to leave more. Just tidyness issue and size of backup
concern.

Glad you're happy with the result.

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>