Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default kdemultimedia-extras

yum can't seem to find kdemultimedia-extras in the Fedora repo, nor in
Livna. Ditto for kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree.

Has anyone seen them, or have they been removed or replaced for F9?

poc

Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:01:34 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> yum can't seem to find kdemultimedia-extras in the Fedora repo, nor in
> Livna. Ditto for kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree.
>
> Has anyone seen them, or have they been removed or replaced for F9?

Livna svn says:

$ cat livna/packages/kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree/devel/dead.package
kde4's kdemultimedia doesn't include any nonfree bits.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 07:06 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:01:34 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > yum can't seem to find kdemultimedia-extras in the Fedora repo, nor in
> > Livna. Ditto for kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree.
> >
> > Has anyone seen them, or have they been removed or replaced for F9?
>
> Livna svn says:
>
> $ cat livna/packages/kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree/devel/dead.package
> kde4's kdemultimedia doesn't include any nonfree bits.

Does that mean "will actively prevent you from using non-free bits" or
"will oblige you to look elsewhere to get the non-free bits"? The latter
has been the policy up to now, hence the existence of *-extras-nonfree.

poc

Old 05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:10:54 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 07:06 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:01:34 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > > yum can't seem to find kdemultimedia-extras in the Fedora repo, nor in
> > > Livna. Ditto for kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen them, or have they been removed or replaced for F9?
> >
> > Livna svn says:
> >
> > $ cat livna/packages/kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree/devel/dead.package
> > kde4's kdemultimedia doesn't include any nonfree bits.
>
> Does that mean "will actively prevent you from using non-free bits" or
> "will oblige you to look elsewhere to get the non-free bits"? The latter
> has been the policy up to now, hence the existence of *-extras-nonfree.

It means that upstream's kdemultimedia tarball does not contain any
non-free stuff that could go into the livna package. Nothing to
build => no such extra package anymore.

If you see missing features, you may need to look for other add-on
packages, but I think xine-lib usage in KDE fills the gap nowadays.
"yum install xine-lib-extras-nonfree" for the non-free bits.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 2.33 1.96 1.79

Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:16 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:10:54 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > Livna svn says:
> > >
> > > $ cat livna/packages/kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree/devel/dead.package
> > > kde4's kdemultimedia doesn't include any nonfree bits.
> >
> > Does that mean "will actively prevent you from using non-free bits" or
> > "will oblige you to look elsewhere to get the non-free bits"? The latter
> > has been the policy up to now, hence the existence of *-extras-nonfree.
>
> It means that upstream's kdemultimedia tarball does not contain any
> non-free stuff that could go into the livna package. Nothing to
> build => no such extra package anymore.

I hadn't realized that upstream previously *did* allow non-free stuff. I
always assumed it came from third party packagers. Oh well, we live and
learn.

> If you see missing features, you may need to look for other add-on
> packages, but I think xine-lib usage in KDE fills the gap nowadays.
> "yum install xine-lib-extras-nonfree" for the non-free bits.

OK.

poc

Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:40:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 16:16 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Does that mean "will actively prevent you from using non-free bits" or
> > > "will oblige you to look elsewhere to get the non-free bits"? The latter
> > > has been the policy up to now, hence the existence of *-extras-nonfree.
> >
> > It means that upstream's kdemultimedia tarball does not contain any
> > non-free stuff that could go into the livna package. Nothing to
> > build => no such extra package anymore.
>
> I hadn't realized that upstream previously *did* allow non-free stuff. I
> always assumed it came from third party packagers. Oh well, we live and
> learn.

They either included and/or used external non-free stuff, e.g. codec
libraries for patent encumbered A/V formats.

For the Fedora package, the upstream source tarball either had to be
stripped in order to exclude bits that Fedora cannot distribute, or some
components were not built or were built without non-free features only.

The free -extras package was from the Fedora Extras era and is no longer
necessary after the Core/Extras merger. The -extras-nonfree package was
built from an unstripped tarball and/or with non-free build dependencies
available at livna.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.18 1.51 1.55