Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Switching desktops

William Howard wrote:

Greetings!
I haven't been able to figure out how to use the KDE desktop instead of
Gnome in version 9. I had the updater grab all the 4.04 files, but I how
do I get it to switch?

Chris Howard

You should be able to change the session from the login screen. Or, if
that's not there, from the CLI use 'switchdesk kde'. That should do it.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
William Howard

I haven't been able to figure out how to use the KDE desktop
instead of Gnome in version 9. I had the updater grab all the 4.04
files, but I how do I get it to switch?

Chris Howard

You should be able to change the session from the login screen. Or,
if that's not there, from the CLI use 'switchdesk kde'. That should
do it.

You could change it with Fedora 8, but the login screen doesn't give
the option in 9... I tried the command but the system doesn't
recognize it (if I'm doing it right)... I've been through all the
documentation I could find...

A little more help?

WCH

Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Wolfgang

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 08:24 -0400, William Howard wrote:
> On May 27, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Mark Haney wrote:
>
> >> Greetings!
> >> I haven't been able to figure out how to use the KDE desktop
> >> instead of Gnome in version 9. I had the updater grab all the 4.04
> >> files, but I how do I get it to switch?
> >> Chris Howard
> >
> > You should be able to change the session from the login screen. Or,
> > if that's not there, from the CLI use 'switchdesk kde'. That should
> > do it.
>
> You could change it with Fedora 8, but the login screen doesn't give
> the option in 9... I tried the command but the system doesn't
> recognize it (if I'm doing it right)... I've been through all the
> documentation I could find...
>
> A little more help?
>
> WCH

Switchdesk is not installed by default, you will have to do a 'yum
install switchdesk' from CLI first. Then run the above command.

Wolf

Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM
"subhodip biswas"

by default it is there in Fedora 9 login screen at the bottom there a
poup menu that allows you to choose between kde or GNOME

--
Regards
Subhodip Biswas

GPG key : FAEA34AB
Server : pgp.mit.edu
http://subhodipbiswas.wordpress.com
http:/www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SubhodipBiswas

Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 PM
William Howard

by default it is there in Fedora 9 login screen at the bottom there a
poup menu that allows you to choose between kde or GNOME

Do you have a screen-shot? I don't have one in mine...

WCH

Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
Chris Howard

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 12:29 -0400, William Howard wrote:
> On May 28, 2008, at 10:00 AM, subhodip biswas wrote:
>
> > by default it is there in Fedora 9 login screen at the bottom there a
> > poup menu that allows you to choose between kde or GNOME
>
> Do you have a screen-shot? I don't have one in mine...

´╗┐Well, I installed switchdesk using yum, even got a message telling me
it was ready to use... did the command "switchdesk kde", and the message
states that the "Desktop is now set up to use kde"... what gives? I've
tried log out/in ,restart...

I remember F8 had the choice on the login panel but it's just not
here... OK, I know it's a big stink about KDE, but I do prefer it...

Any other suggestions? This is the 386 DVD installation, not the beta...
--
Wm Chris Howard
Phil 2:5-11

Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Chris Howard

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 19:23 -0400, Chris Howard wrote:
> Any other suggestions? This is the 386 DVD installation, not the
> beta...

And then as if by some miracle... it begins to work...

"It's a mystery to me..."
(Jaques Cousteau)

Thanks for your help!!!
--